Brave Launches Next-Generation Browser that Puts Users in Charge of Their Internet Experience with Unmatched Privacy and Rewards

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
San Francisco – November 13, 2019 – Brave Software, makers of the innovative Brave browser which combines privacy with a blockchain-based digital advertising platform, today announced the official launch of Brave 1.0. The Brave open source browser fundamentally shifts how users, publishers, and advertisers interact online by giving users a private, safer, and 3-6x faster browsing experience, while funding the Web through a new attention-based platform of privacy-preserving advertisements and rewards. In addition to desktop and Android devices, Brave’s private ads and payment platform (Brave Rewards) is now available for iPhones and iPads.

.... Continue reading here: https://brave.com/brave-launches-next-generation-browser/

Version 1.0 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official build) (64 bit)

Downloads of this version of Brave are available for Windows 64-bit, Windows 32-bit, macOS and Linux.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
About some lacks of some FF features in that table... I think probably can be refuted :unsure:

I've never compared Firefox to any other browser. I realize Brave is aggressive about marketing through blog posts, etc. so I take everything from them with a healthy dose of salt. :)

@Lobito Punky I think all browsers need help with fingerprinting. I like Privacy Possum = simple and lightweight.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I do use brave but it is for me clunky in comparison to Chrome for example, the icons on the tool-bar for reasons only known to themselves again are small/rubbish, the whole tool-bar itself is not on a par with Chrome - I'm not sure I need an endless supply of photographs on the new tab page, I'm not sure why but it grows in size by (100's) many meg as you use it despite removing all available 'things to clean' - I really don't like saying this but Chrome is the smoothest best looking & usable browser out there - I use brave but it erks me & I'm not sure if I need its extra protection after using AdGuard for Window - Though similar things can be said about FF & Opera - Complain over ... :oops::oops::oops:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I do use brave but it is for me clunky in comparison to Chrome for example, the icons on the tool-bar for reasons only known to themselves again are small/rubbish, the whole tool-bar itself is not on a par with Chrome... :oops::oops::oops:

That's my experience too.

But hopefully things get better with any alternative browser. Brave in particular I'd like to see rapidly evolve.

I'd use any of them if they start developing a user experience as smooth as Chrome.

Chrome is like Adblock Plus.... A somewhat helpful tool that is tainted by the ultimate and conflicting objective of making money off its use which requires degradation for the user.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
All these "alternative" browsers are slower to patch the zero days. That's what worries me. Every time Chrome pushes an update, and there are exploitable zero-days that just got patched, you can be sure that most of the small Chromium-based browsers did not patch it yet, and the zero-days are now disclosed.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
All these "alternative" browsers are slower to patch the zero days. That's what worries me. Every time Chrome pushes an update, and there are exploitable zero-days that just got patched, you can be sure that most of the small Chromium-based browsers did not patch it yet, and the zero-days are now disclosed.
That's actually a very good point! I wonder what Brave's track record is in handling zero-days/their speed in incorporating new patches.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
That's actually a very good point! I wonder what Brave's track record is in handling zero-days/their speed in incorporating new patches.
Brave updates to the latest chromium build a day after Chrome's stable channel receives it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.