New Update Brave partners with Guardian to bring a paid VPN and Firewall to Brave for Android

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I did install Adguard app in Android my phone. I decided not to use VPN with my phone. So already could block WhatsApp with firewall of Adguard. :D
So, some friends are no longer able to WhatsApp call me or message me anytime they want. Some think using WhatsApp, they save money!

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Brave Firewall + VPN, powered by Guardian, is now available on desktop with the recent 1.49 version of the browser, completing Brave’s already available Android and iOS VPN offerings so users can benefit from full cross-platform protection.

The desktop VPN will be rolled out in various regions over the next few days, so users should check back soon if they’re not seeing it today. The desktop VPN also includes cross-device support, which enables users to connect five devices to one VPN subscription, regardless of platform.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yeah! Add more useless crap to the web browser!
No one is forcing you to use it. Almost every browser has their own or partnered VPN provider service. Firefox, Opera, Edge, Chrome(?)
Don’t worry about downloading any extra apps; simply open the settings menu in the Brave browser on desktop or mobile, and toggle on VPN. Brave Firewall + VPN is the easiest way to protect all your devices—and all your apps—directly from the browser.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I know. However IMHO there should be an option to permanently disable this kind of extras.
And you can.

Should anyone wish to force-disable Brave VPN, head into the experimental flags and change Default to Disabled, then relaunch the browser for the changes to take affect.
brave://flags/#brave-vpn

Force-Enabled
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 10.25.19.png

Force-Disabled / Default (Version 1.49.120 Chromium: 111.0.5563.64 (Official Build) (arm64))
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 10.25.29.png

If you look at Firefox, Edge and Chrome, they all need a registered account to sync data across desktop and mobile, whereas Brave relies on a sync code. The only time you might need a Brave Account is if you were to use 'Brave Search Premium' and 'Firewall + Guardian VPN' options for desktop and mobile. I don't use Opera to comment on what they offer, but @upnorth might be able to chime in.

Brave does not even enforce users to create an account to begin with.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I don't use Opera to comment on what they offer, but @upnorth might be able to chime in.

Brave does not even enforce users to create an account to begin with.
Operas free VPN ( proxy ) service that requires no account, was awhile since I last tested and their full system wide VPN Pro version I never used.

Last time I tested Operas free VPN, it felt as a hit and miss and I can only recommend it for pure testing unless they managed to improve it. Very easy to enable and disable in settings and available both in the desktop and phone version, but as always, check for any possible webRTC leaks. It's a browser feature, not a VPN feature.

A fair heads-up about experimental flags! I never used Brave and I can guess it's the same, but most other browsers normally very crystal clear warns about fiddle/enable flag options, because it can break not just your browser but also risk your system. Been there done that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.