Brave rejects Google's anti ad-blocking proposal, boosts built-in ad-blocker performance by '69x'

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Though the importance of advertisements cannot be overstated for many modern websites, it's clear that ordinary users have grown to dislike them quite a bit. Indeed, nowadays, a large portion of the internet-browsing public uses some form of ad-blocker.

Ad-blocking has become so prominent that many, if not most, major browser developers have implemented built-in tools that do the job. On top of that, many users take advantage of script and tracker-blocking extensions like Ghostery.

As you can imagine, this trend is not exactly great news for companies that rely heavily on advertising dollars to survive -- Google, for example. Perhaps in an attempt to combat this practice, the tech giant announced "Manifest V3" earlier this year. Manifest V3 is a suggested update to Chromium-based browsers that would all but stop ad-blocking tools that rely on the "WebRequest" API from functioning properly.

2019-07-01-image-3.png

Some browser makers aren't too pleased with Google's ideas, and have decided to openly reject them. Indeed, today, Brave announced that its own ad-blocker, Brave Shield (which uses WebRequest), has received a massive performance boost.

Brave accomplished this task by rebuilding its ad-blocker algorithms from the ground up in Rust; Mozilla's coding language. This retooling has resulted in "69x" faster ad-blocking performance. In theory, this should make ad-heavy pages load quicker than ever -- but you don't have to take Brave's word for it.

You can test the latest version of the browser by downloading either Brave Nightly or Brave Dev, both of which are essentially early and potentially unstable versions of the software. If you don't want to deal with bugs, these ad-blocking speed improvements should roll out to stable branches of Brave sometime soon.

Source

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Brave browser catches Google tracking users with hidden web pages
That doesn't sound GDPR-compliant ...

According to Financial Times, Brave‘s chief policy officer Johnny Ryan discovered Google‘s alleged secret web pages after tracking his data as it was traded on Google‘s advertising exchange Authorized Buyers, formally known as DoubleClick.
Ryan’s evidence reportedly shows Google had “labelled him with an identifying tracker that it fed to third-party companies that logged on to a hidden web page.”
That web page allegedly showed no content, but contained a “unique address” that linked directly to Ryan’s browsing activity. After one hour of browsing the web using Google Chrome, the report said that Ryan found six separate pages had sent his identifier to at least eight adtech companies.

1567684787470.png

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Trying Firefox portable lately, and 69 seems much better than the original Quantum version of FF. I think I like where Mozilla is going with security. Seems clear, there is a different agenda at Mozilla than is apparently the case with Google.

Sometimes I wonder how stupid the employees of these corporate barges like Google think people are. So now it looks like they have the idea that they can just decide to destroy freedom of choice on the internet and noone can or will care, because they are Google. I don't know what happens to people who go to work there. It's mystifying.

Problem is everyone in IoT and government want simple answers to complex problems. At the first hint of a complication, professional integrity is unsurreptitiously tossed overboard and disgraceful action and activity is justified as some kind of corporate/government entitlement, which is reserved for only the elites or chosen insiders. What it is to me is organized laziness, honestly. Nobody wants to have to be the one to dive into the difficult questions.

Amazon played this game with their supposed sweepstakes to the state in the U.S. that could pay them off best. What a joke that was. States offering Amazon $10 billion and more to move there. Forget about geography and demographics, just put the cash in my hand. Seemed more like a way to embezzle or to hold states hostage than anything, and, in the end, the solution for Amazon will be far grander and likely more complicated than the one the small minded men who came up with this imagine.

Where are the players in this industry who can make things happen in the IoT industry ? I mean this industry needs big time deal makers who know what really works and what doesn't work. Well, it will first be international tolerance and negotiation and then international cooperation that will fix the problems of advertising on the internet, including spam and other issues. Many other issues will get handled this way too. No IoT company which binds its image to a single nation will be able to achieve much in terms of enlightening government officials to the global scale of the issues. So, Google just gives up or Microsoft just gives up, and they retreat for the American flag to feel loved. This is sad. Honestly, it's very discouraging.

Well, at least it appears there will be Brave browser :)

I think this would be the second time I've had to dump Google if I recall. I think the first was back around 2011 or 2012 over data mining and memory usage. If they go through with this plan, I guess I will have to dump Chrome again. Well, others are getting better fast, and how does this sound...Linux and Firefox and/or your other favorite browser(s)? Starting to sound better to me.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Google is evil. I recall Snowden saying something in an interview a few years ago, warning people that Google wasn't what they appeared to be. That is, they appear to be a corporation, offering good products and services, and helping people. He was non-specific for some reason, but generally most people feel the interview eluded to Google being an integral part of the military/intelligence complex.

Chrome has issues that go way beyond the tracking issues that go directly into what amounts to spying using intelligence organizations operating LLC's masked as basic business data firms and admetrics.

Intelligence has done it in the past and continue to do it. For example NebuAD was setup to work with cable firms to MiTM millions of cable node connections for direct interdiction of user activity masked as a way to make cash. (including HTTPS) Eventually, after exposure, and the fact that Robert Dyke was exposed for being an intelligence asset, NebuAD quietly disappeared. But that was another Accel Venture, if you really want to see how many screws they have in the system look who Accel has controlling interest in and we know Accel is largely an intelligence operation for tech funding not so publicly announced like In-Q-Tel.

I use Android Phones, however I treat them like compromised devices and utilize encrypted apps, lockdowns, ADB Commands and secured communications to mitigate issues. If I could find a Google-Free Android that doesn't require rooting and is effective and reliable I'd drop that. Apple isn't more secure or more private (if anything it's worse) so that isn't an option..

Ditch Chrome and don't use Google while you still can. :)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't use Google unless I have to, they are blocked most of the time but due to the fact they are ubiquitous on the web it's not that easy, lots of sites use Google for their fonts & that makes pages look dreadful. Firefox is my browser but they have Google as their default search, but changable - Firefox could be argued as Googles lapdog to prevent their monopolistic behavior & received cash from Google. Who knows how entrenched Google tracking is in Opera/Vivaldi etc. I feel Google is the devil incarnate & they are not alone either - I do what I can but of limited effect, but better than not trying at all. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
Google is evil. I recall Snowden saying something in an interview a few years ago, warning people that Google wasn't what they appeared to be. That is, they appear to be a corporation, offering good products and services, and helping people. He was non-specific for some reason, but generally most people feel the interview eluded to Google being an integral part of the military/intelligence complex.

Chrome has issues that go way beyond the tracking issues that go directly into what amounts to spying using intelligence organizations operating LLC's masked as basic business data firms and admetrics.

Intelligence has done it in the past and continue to do it. For example NebuAD was setup to work with cable firms to MiTM millions of cable node connections for direct interdiction of user activity masked as a way to make cash. (including HTTPS) Eventually, after exposure, and the fact that Robert Dyke was exposed for being an intelligence asset, NebuAD quietly disappeared. But that was another Accel Venture, if you really want to see how many screws they have in the system look who Accel has controlling interest in and we know Accel is largely an intelligence operation for tech funding not so publicly announced like In-Q-Tel.

I use Android Phones, however I treat them like compromised devices and utilize encrypted apps, lockdowns, ADB Commands and secured communications to mitigate issues. If I could find a Google-Free Android that doesn't require rooting and is effective and reliable I'd drop that. Apple isn't more secure or more private (if anything it's worse) so that isn't an option..

Hi there. I have my passwords saved in my google account. Now I want to transfer them to my Lastpass only. How do I do this?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

What about Chromebooks? You seem to use them a lot.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Hi there. I have my passwords saved in my google account. Now I want to transfer them to my Lastpass only. How do I do this?
LastPass isn't too great either, closed source and has had several security issues in its history: LastPass - Wikipedia

ForgottenSeer 58943 would probably agree with me when I recommend Bitwarden because it's cheap but open source, audited and as transparent as possible. Others may recommend KeePass, but as it's local it's not very convenient.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Oh my.... Sly, you need to stop with this apostasy.

Some people have claimed that Google is.............. our higher power being.

View attachment 223825

Sly, I'm inviting you to go and have a few beers, and then attend the Church of Google.

They will fix you.

Amen.

View attachment 223826

Is it like Scientology where they demand HUGE sums of money (or all of it!) and the only way you can leave is if a Cult Expert or Exorcist can remove you? :LOL:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

What about Chromebooks? You seem to use them a lot.

I used Chromebooks until around August of this year when we started seeing them get infected via the 'This browser is controlled by XYZ organization' exploits that in the case of Chromebooks, required a powerwash. Chromebooks were quite nice, secure, and with some precautions somewhat private. But when that exploit started cropping up I sold off the CB's and moved to small notebooks with Discreete running on SD Cards in them.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Top U.S. tech companies have filled top positions with former members of Israeli military intelligence and moved strategic and critical operations to Israel. Team8, a company-creation platform whose CEO and co-founder is Nadav Zafrir, former commander of Unit 8200.

This concern is further exacerbated by the deep ties connecting top tech companies like Microsoft and Google to the U.S. military. Microsoft and Google are both key military contractors — Microsoft in particular, given that it is set to win a lucrative contract for the Pentagon’s cloud management and has partnered with the Department of Defense to produce a “secure” election system known as ElectionGuard that is set to be implemented in some U.S. states for the 2020 general election.

Team8’s investors include Google’s Eric Schmidt, Microsoft, and Walmart — and it recently hired former head of the NSA and U.S. Cyber Command, retired Admiral Mike Rogers. Team8 described the decision to hire Rogers as being “instrumental in helping strategize” Team8’s expansion in the United States.

Particularly troubling is the fact that, since SUNC’s founding, the number of former Unit 8200 members in top positions in American tech companies has skyrocketed. Based on a non-exhaustive analysis conducted by Mintpress of over 200 LinkedIn accounts of former Israeli military intelligence and intelligence officers in three major tech companies, numerous former Unit 8200 alumni were found to currently hold top managerial or executive positions in Microsoft, Google and Facebook.

At Microsoft, managers for at least 15 of the company’s products and programs — including Microsoft’s lead managers for engineering, product strategy, threat analytics and cloud business intelligence — publicly listed their affiliation with Unit 8200 on their LinkedIn accounts. In addition, the general manager of Microsoft’s Israeli Research and Development Center is also a former member of Unit 8200. In total, of the 200 accounts analyzed, 50 of them currently worked for Microsoft.

Similarly, at Google, 28 former Unit 8200 members at the company were identified from their LinkedIn accounts. Among them are Google’s Engineering Director, its strategic partner manager, two growth marketing leads, its lead technical manager, and six product and program managers, including Google’s manager for trust and safety search.

Facebook also has several Unit 8200 members in prominent positions, though fewer than Google and Microsoft. Mintpress has identified at least 13 Unit 8200 alumni working for Facebook, including its director of engineering, lead manager for express wi-fi, and technical program manager.
Source: How NeoCon Billionaire Paul Singer Is Driving the Outsourcing of US Tech Jobs to Israel

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.