Bringing Graphene Tech to replace Silicon-based Chips will offer 10x Performance

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
China's Graphene Copper Innovation Consortium will assist with bringing graphene to chip manufacturing, offering ten times the performance of silicon-based chips

With the limitations of silicon-based semiconductor technology looming each year, companies are devising ways to produce more robust and more efficient chip technology in the future.

The most significant limitations of graphene in semiconductor chips are in the cost of manufacturing and development. Graphene-based chips are complicated to produce and are highly expensive to create. Several years have passed since the introduction of the theory, but no one has obtained a stable level to begin mass-producing graphene chips for the world.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
There is still the bandgap problem (they can't be shut off) with Graphene. Although IBM has shown that 2 layers will in some way help, it is still unresolved for mass manufacturing.
I remember y suggested that there is a hiher chance certain technologies like Tis3 will be used well still I don't believe we will see anything other then silicone in this decade in the consumer market
but any advancement will eventually have consumer friendly pricing
so although I'm not expecting anything I'm still happy we are slowly upgrading semiconductor from silicone to possibly more efficient the technologies

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I remember y suggested that there is a hiher chance certain technologies like Tis3 will be used well still I don't believe we will see anything other then silicone in this decade in the consumer market
but any advancement will eventually have consumer friendly pricing
so although I'm not expecting anything I'm still happy we are slowly upgrading semiconductor from silicone to possibly more efficient the technologies
Graphene is certainly much more efficient but will take many years to be cost effective. But the TRUE ISSUE is that liquid helium is of the upmost importance semiconductor manufacturing (as well as in the Medical field, like for MRI's), and the world is running out of Helium.

If you wish to darken your day consider that Helium is non-renewable and there is no other element that can do what helium can do in supercold applications (and Argon just won't work).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.