Not open for further replies.

Svoll

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Hello all, was trying ArchLinux and was directed to a page for hardening and securing my browser. It listed about 15 addons for firefox.

1 Extensions

1.1 HTTPS Everywhere
1.2 Ublock Origin
1.3 Adblock Plus
1.4 Privacy Badger
1.5 Disconnect
1.6 NoScript
1.7 UMatrix
1.8 Cookie MOnster
1.9 Self-Destruction Cookies
1.10 RefControl
1.11 RequestPolicy
1.12 Decentralesyes
1.13 CanvasBlocker
1.14 Random User Agent
1.15 Privacy Settings
  • My question, are all those addon's reduntant?
I prolly use 3 out of that list, HTTPS Everywhere,Ublock, and NoScript. Has anyone ran more than 6 addons and does it affect browser speed?

Or what would you recommend that I run from that list?

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I currently use HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, Decentraleyes, CanvasBlocker and have been using uMatrix on and off to decide whether I want to use it or not. If anything, my browser has been noticeably faster when using these addons (mostly uBlock Origin for obvious reasons) than without them, note that I'm using Nightly which has added e10s (multiprocess) which also makes Firefox much faster.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Of course there's a slight slow down. Without extensions Chrome and SlimJet are flying

I'm using 14 extensions for Chrome, SlimJet and Firefox

For Firefox

HTTPS, BetterPrivacy, Canvas Defender, Canvas Fingerprint Blocker, Decentraleyes, Popup Block (strict), Random Agent Spoofer, RequestPolicy Continued, Self-Destructing Cookies, Speed Tweaks(SpeedyFox), BitDefender TrafficLight, uBlock Origin, Undo Closed Tabs Button, WindScribe

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Can I add something for chrome :D
- Canvas Defender
- Popup blocker (strict)
- Stealth mode (from Adguard)

using more extensions will eventually decrease your privacy and security due to potential conflicts and vulnerabilities
I recommend to use only 2-3 extensions dedicated for privacy, Max 4
for example: ublock O., canvas defender (chrome) and avira browser safety, HTTPS
firefox: UbO, noscript, avira, HTTPS

Reactions: frogboy

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Can I add something for chrome :D
- Canvas Defender
- Popup blocker (strict)
- Stealth mode (from Adguard)

using more extensions will eventually decrease your privacy and security due to potential conflicts and vulnerabilities
I recommend to use only 2-3 extensions dedicated for privacy, Max 4
for example: ublock O., canvas defender (chrome) and avira browser safety, HTTPS
firefox: UbO, noscript, avira, HTTPS
If you really value your privacy then you should be using open source browsers like Firefox, SlimJet etc and privacy-emphasized search engines like SearX, StartPage, Ixquick, MetaGer etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.