Browser Benchmark Battle

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Browser benchmark battle October 2016: Chrome vs. Firefox vs. Edge
chrome_firefox_edge_logos-930x465.png

It’s been more than a year since our last browser benchmark battle, and the competition remains fierce. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge have all gained a variety of new features and improvements over the past year. It’s time to see if any of them have managed to pull ahead of the pack.

A benchmarking program that can test browsers in a definitive way does not exist. As such, we’re once again going through eight separate benchmarks. We’re also only looking at Windows, so as to maintain a common platform and because that’s what the larger majority of desktop users browse on.

Setup
We used a custom desktop PC for each benchmark. It features an Intel Core i5 4440 processor (6M Cache, 3.10 GHz), 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM, a 500GB SATA hard drive (7200 RPM), an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 graphics card, and a 24-inch widescreen LED monitor (1920 x 1080).

We split off a new 75GB partition for a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), downloaded the browsers, and ran Windows Update a few times until it had all the latest patches. We then ran all of the eight tests on each browser, taking screenshots along the way.

Please remember that if you try to replicate the tests, your numbers will naturally differ because you’re using a different computer. You will not get the same figures, but you may get similar results.

We used the latest browsers versions available for Windows 10 at the time: Chrome 54.0.2840.71, which was released this month, Firefox 49.0.2, released last month, and Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0, released this month.

Results
Finally, the part you’ve been waiting for. Again, please remember that the exact numbers aren’t important: How they compare between browsers within a given test is what counts.

Here’s the rundown (click on an individual test to see the nitty-gritty details):

If you’d prefer to see all the results on one page, please click here.

Final thoughts
It appears that Edge has made the biggest gains since last year. That said, browser performance is improving at a very rapid pace, and it shouldn’t be your only consideration when picking your preferred app for consuming Internet content.

As long as you’re using one of the Big Three, you can expect performance to be solid. There is certainly room for improvement, but Chrome, Firefox, and Edge are all quite capable.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
In my system FF has the smoothest scrolling of pages.
But since e10 was introduced it uses too much RAM and CPU. So for now it's out of my system.

Edge has improved but still browsing is slower compared with FF and Cent.

Cent ( Chrome clone ) at moment has the best RAM and CPU usage and is the fastest while browsing the internet.
Currently Cent is my primary browser.
Edge is my secondary browser.

Don't forget, all this refer to my system.
In other systems maybe other browsers will be faster.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
I use Chrome,also have tried many browsers,but I always return to chrome,i have pale moon on my system as well,but cent browser is my nr. 2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.