Browser Efficiency Test - Edge vs Chrome, Firefox and Opera

Which is the most efficient for battery-powered Windows 10 devices?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
BrowserEfficiencyTest is a Selenium WebDriver based web browser test automation project written in C#. It allows you to run through common tasks done in browsers (look through a Facebook feed, go through some emails, browse the news) done in multiple tabs, and uses Windows Performance Recorder to measure how much power, CPU, or other resources were used in order to accomplish those tasks. It currently supports:
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Google Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Opera
Get on Github: GitHub - MicrosoftEdge/BrowserEfficiencyTest: BrowserEfficiencyTest is a Selenium WebDriver based web browser test automation project.

According to our tests on the Windows 10 Creators Update – based on an open-source test which simulates typical browsing activities across multiple tabs – Microsoft Edge uses up to 31% less power than Google Chrome, and up to 44% less than Mozilla Firefox.

Direct measurements of average power consumption during typical browsing activities (source code).

Source: Better battery life with Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
hey spawn do u use edge? if so, how do u get HTTPs everywhere on it? or do u not rly need it?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
hey spawn do u use edge? if so, how do u get HTTPs everywhere on it? or do u not rly need it?
Last I checked HTTPS Everywhere is not currently available for Microsoft Edge.

Reactions: inuyasha

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Don't know how relevant this is in the end (these measurements). There's so much more to it.
If I work faster with a browser might also mean lower battery usage even if it generally consumes more battery (very abstract statement anyway).

Personally, I so very much don't care about these marketing stuff.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
it's funny when u try to change the default browser in windows 10, they ask "are you sure?"" xD

Reactions: frogboy

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome are probably the fastest browsers in the market, but the lack of interface personalization has been keeping me in Firefox.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Whats the resource usage of Edge like in comparison to Chrome? I don't mean battery usage.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I'm running Edge and I'm pretty happy, but sometimes I find compatibility problems with some websites, and I'm forced to use Chrome. I would like also that Microsoft improves Edge phishing filters

Reactions: ZeroDay

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
Whats the resource usage of Edge like in comparison to Chrome? I don't mean battery usage.

i find edge uses less resources but it is more buggy. like some sites will take forever to load or just not load at all so i have to refresh for it to work

EDIT: just tried out edge and it uses about the same amount of resources as chrome

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
i find edge uses less resources but it is more buggy. like some sites will take forever to load or just not load at all so i have to refresh for it to work

EDIT: just tried out edge and it uses about the same amount of resources as chrome
Thank you.

Reactions: inuyasha

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I'm using Edge. I find it a tad faster than Chrome at loading pages and faster on cold starts. I really like Edge so far.

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
I'm using Edge. I find it a tad faster than Chrome at loading pages and faster on cold starts. I really like Edge so far.
you use extensions ?
adguard,https everywhere,HD quality for YouTube,when edge have more extensions I will give up chrome .

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
you use extensions ?
adguard,https everywhere,HD quality for YouTube,when edge have more extensions I will give up chrome .

Not that I am a fan of adblockers. Edge can for sure get regular old AdBlock which works I guess. You can also use Youtube's gear icon to change quality too. The more extentions you have, means a chance at slower browsing so be careful..

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
I recently learned that u can get ublock origin for edge. Also edge has its own smartscreen and security so u don't really need https everywhere

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
I recently learned that u can get ublock origin for edge. Also edge has its own smartscreen and security so u don't really need https everywhere

actually adguard works better than uBlock origin on edge

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Low power consumption = possible sacrifice of performance

Microsoft Edge is something that primarily focus on casual browsing however not optimize on some numbers of systems due to engine implementation whereas in Chrome and Firefox where it can handle properly as it focus on performance wise.

Microsoft Edge is definitely optimized for low power consumption considering the fact it is preloaded on Windows 10.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Low power consumption = possible sacrifice of performance

Microsoft Edge is something that primarily focus on casual browsing however not optimize on some numbers of systems due to engine implementation whereas in Chrome and Firefox where it can handle properly as it focus on performance wise.

Microsoft Edge is definitely optimized for low power consumption considering the fact it is preloaded on Windows 10.
Really? They don't seem to want to mess with the foreground. They probably also created Edge to not worry about backwards compatibility with IE so Microsoft's probably already prepared to compete with the others.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@TerrakionSmash: Microsoft Edge is a competitive browser however it needs more improvement, cause the performance in browsing is still a huge gap compare to Chrome and Firefox.

I've experienced some issues even in the fresh system of Windows 10. which Microsoft should consider the adjustment on the low power consumption to increase the performance wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.