Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have experienced on several occasions where I browse to a site that is not detected as malware or phishing by my software( Avast+CF/s+AdGuard Premium), and suddenly, I will experience a pop-up for a web page that I cannot close. Not only that, I will be bombarded with messages and a box to leave the page but it still stays on the page. This has happened to me in Chrome, and Firefox. I have read that this commonly referred as browser hijacking.

One time this was so bad, that the only way to close the browser was to shut off the pc, and then scan with Adware Cleaner.

I remember years ago, I think there was an extension for IE that would allow you to force close the offending web page.

My question is nowadays is there a freeware for the commonly used browsers that would allow you to do this? Unfreeze the web page?

I was thinking a possible workaround could be to use a virtualisation program like Shadow Defender that would reverse any browser havoc, as security programs like Avast or CF do not seem to have such a feature that forces the release of the hijacked web page. Unless, I missed it?

Btw, I also run AdGuard Premium but I do not think this addresses the browser hijacking issue.

Suggestions or thoughts?

Reactions: shmu26

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am aware of that feature but I am referring to a live web page with numerous popups and messages that cannot be closed while being viewed.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.