Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
browser-scareware-evolves-now-targets-smart-tvs-498745-2.jpg

Virus makers are evolving along with the times, and have adopted classic desktop malware to target and infect new technology, like smart TVs, as Kaspersky Labs researchers discovered.

It all started when a Reddit user complained that his sister got a virus on his smart TV, something he described as a DNS hijacker. In this particular case, every time he would open his smart TV's Web browser, a popup message would appear, asking the user to call a number to fix his malware problem. Often referred to as browser ransomware, this is a cross between scareware, tech support scams, and ransomware, which make the user's browser unusable.

Since security researchers rarely see complex malware on smart TVs, and most of the times it arrives there by accident, targeting the TV's underlying Android OS, the OS used with most smart TVs, Kaspersky's staff had to analyze the case.

Their investigation led them back to a series of domains, employed in the past to spread various other malware, already blacklisted in their company's Kaspersky Web Protection product.

They also managed to track down part of the ransom message to some source code snippets uploaded to the ddecode.com and PasteBin websites. Putting these snippets together, they managed to reconstruct the malware's malicious JavaScript code that gets executed in the browser and shows the annoying popup.

Read more: Browser Scareware Evolves, Now Targets Smart TVs

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Absolutely I get scared about my smartTV I would never use it for anything but streaming. Some smartTV's do have an option for protection. I have absolutely no idea what it does or if it's effective in anyway I've never tried to attack my TV lol sounds foolish unless you have the firmware and o/s and could hard reset the tv. I've never looked into the technology itself, but it's definitely vulnerable that's for sure. You can play games on my TV apparently I wouldn't know I'm not foolish enough to download a java based game to my TV! I've even dealt with a Samsung SmartTv that has targeted ads. I also read Vizio smart tv's are basically a spy-bot in the middle of your living room it monitors your ip address so it can use targeted ads against all connected devices behind the same gateway!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Better reduce the features related on connectivity on the internet since the overall concept tends to high on risks or otherwise implement some stronger hardening protection.

Smart TV is just example of how they focus only on being mainstream rather than protection concern.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.