App Review Browser Test: Opera, Google Chrome, Comodo Dragon and more soon (MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Which browser offers the highest security?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Opera

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Comodo Dragon

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Other (Post in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

McLovin said:
Don't know about Chrome, but I know for Firefox/Waterfox is if you close it on purpose you will be able to restore old tabs.

same for Chrome

Startup options

Sq9Ho.jpg

Privacy Options

PQmft.jpg

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That is the best thing to do and have checked. Makes life easier when restoring tabs.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
- Chrome has a sandbox and do-no-track features
- Chrome malicious site filter is better in my opinion, it block more than FF

Firefox also has do-not-track features. Firefox uses Google's safe browsing list, just like Chrome.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Umbra Corp. said:

Firefox also has do-not-track features. Firefox uses Google's safe browsing list, just like Chrome.

You are correct about the only advantage Google Chrome has over Firefox is the sandboxing (its own flash player and PDF reader) plus it pushes out updated releases more often then Firefox.

Firefox/Waterfox is my choice browser but I believe Google Chrome is more secure because of the sandbox and more into developing. But both are very close.

Thanks.:D

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Littlebits said:
HeffeD said:
Umbra Corp. said:

You are correct about the only advantage Google Chrome has over Firefox is the sandboxing (its own flash player and PDF reader) plus it pushes out updated releases more often then Firefox.

Firefox/Waterfox is my choice browser but I believe Google Chrome is more secure because of the sandbox and more into developing. But both are very close.

@Earth admin :- I used to use both chrome and mozilla 1 months back but my elder brother says not to install too many browsers and use only 1 and v have been using mozilla more before than chrome so i cannot try chrome on my pc :(.
@Littlebits True. I agree same with you sir :D. I also think chrome is more secure but mozilla firefox is my preference and I like it better :D. Also I can fix a problem of firefox more better than chrome as i understand it better. But yes would also like to use chrome when I would own my personal laptop :).
Thank you Earth and umbra sir for listing all the useful features of chrome many of which I didn't knew so I learnt something from u all :)
But hehe mozilla firefox still much ahead of google chrome in voting :D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
- FF latest version has also an update service so no differences to me.
- i disabled google update because i like to update things myself

The Firefox update service can be uninstalled. Also, during installation, you have the choice not to install it.

Like yourself, I prefer to do updates manually. I have Firefox set not to prompt when there's a new update.

A 4% blocking difference between Firefox and Chrome is meaningless when there is a 2% error margin. According to the same test:

"Firefox demonstrates the strongest protection for Zero hour phishing attacks at 79.2%". Chrome scored 53.2% in the first hour.

https://www.nsslabs.com/reports/browser-security-comparative-analysis-phishing-protection

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bo.elam said:
Umbra Corp. said:
- FF latest version has also an update service so no differences to me.
- i disabled google update because i like to update things myself

The Firefox update service can be uninstalled. Also, during installation, you have the choice not to install it.

Like yourself, I prefer to do updates manually. I have Firefox set not to prompt when there's a new update.

A 4% blocking difference between Firefox and Chrome is meaningless when there is a 2% error margin. According to the same test:

"Firefox demonstrates the strongest protection for Zero hour phishing attacks at 79.2%". Chrome scored 53.2% in the first hour.

https://www.nsslabs.com/reports/browser-security-comparative-analysis-phishing-protection

Bo

I suspect that Google Chrome uses a more updated safe browsing list then Firefox since it receives more updates.

Comodo Dragon doesn't use Google Safe browsing list, it relies on Comodo DNS. If you want a more secure version of Chromium browser, use Google Chrome and add Comodo DNS then you get both blocking lists together. I don't believe there is an option to add Google Safe browsing list to Comodo Dragon.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Comodo Dragon doesn't use Google Safe browsing list, it relies on Comodo DNS. If you want a more secure version of Chromium browser, use Google Chrome and add Comodo DNS then you get both blocking lists together. I don't believe there is an option to add Google Safe browsing list to Comodo Dragon.

As with any Chromium browser, Google Safe Browsing is enabled by default in Comodo Dragon.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:

As with any Chromium browser, Google Safe Browsing is enabled by default in Comodo Dragon.

Google Safe Browsing was a part of Google's branding for Google Chrome only. It was not included in the Chromium open-source code just like the other services provided by Google. When was it added to Chromium open-source code?

Copied from the Chromium development page:

Chromium is the application that serves as the foundation for Google Chrome, with Google’s developers improving the software and adding a bunch of enhancements to make it worthy of the Google badge.

Has all of the main features as Google Chrome except it lacks:

* Google Update Service (must manually download updated zip files and extract then to a folder and delete the older version folder)
* Google's re-branded flash player (must install Adobe flash plugin)
* Google's re-branded Java applets (must install Java Runtime plugin)
* Google Documents Service (must install document readers like pdf, Microsoft Office and others to view online documents)
* Google Safe Browsing
* Various other Google Services
* Only available as a developer build
* Only is available as a portable (no installer)

Is this info out-dated?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It may possibly be out-dated. Google Chrome has no elements of a Java plugin.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Google Safe Browsing was a part of Google's branding for Google Chrome only. It was not included in the Chromium open-source code just like the other services provided by Google. When was it added to Chromium open-source code?

Look for the option to protect from phishing or malicious websites...

It's not called Safe Browsing, but it's the same list unless I'm mistaken. (Firefox also uses Google's list)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:

Look for the option to protect from phishing or malicious websites...

It's not called Safe Browsing, but it's the same list unless I'm mistaken. (Firefox also uses Google's list)

Maybe this will solve the questions.

http://blog.chromium.org/2008/11/understanding-phishing-and-malware.html

The Google Safe Browsing Test Page

image001jzm.png

image002sf.png

image003f.png

Both Chromium and Comodo Dragon passed the test because Chromium at one time added Google Safe Browsing to the open-source code. Firefox also passed the test page.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.