Browsers & Online banking

arjad

Thread author
Jul 30, 2014
Hello, can you tell me difference between secure browsers ( AVG, Avast, F secure...) and Bitdefender, Eset .. banking browsers regarding safety?

Reactions: InnoScorpio

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Usually you need the specific antivirus regarding to browser you use

They just isolate browser, so so called safe banking is done

I really dont know anyone who uses these, if your pc is clean and you use any trusted browser you dont need safe browser ability for banking

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Of the above Kaspersky, Bitdefender use their own browser for Banking purposes..it is just a virtualised hardened browser that works quite well even if your default browsers are hijacked(INFECTED) at that time. F secure struggles a lot in this aspect.
G DATA monitors the browsers 24/7 including the DLL injection and prevents the attacks silently giving the USER an acknowledgement that malicious traffic has been observed and infected part has been replaced. Eset works in the similar manner
However neither of the AV's i saw removed the Banking Trojan completely once the system/browser is compromised>> I installed these AV after
getting my browser infected (likely) to test how far their removal rate would be..as expected it is DISMAL!!)

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
Technically, a safe browser from some security solutions relies on the same underlying technology as a dedicated Virtual Machine. Some vendors just monitor the standard browser the customer is using for Remote Code Execution attacks and other forms of tampering.

Not all of the vendors support a virtualization-approach safe browser and some that do lack in areas like keeping the browser engine up-to-date (e.g. Chromium version - I've seen Avast lack behind once or twice at-least).

Reactions: oldschool

Of the above Kaspersky, Bitdefender use their own browser for Banking purposes..it is just a virtualised hardened browser that works quite well even if your default browsers are hijacked(INFECTED) at that time. F secure struggles a lot in this aspect.
G DATA monitors the browsers 24/7 including the DLL injection and prevents the attacks silently giving the USER an acknowledgement that malicious traffic has been observed and infected part has been replaced. Eset works in the similar manner
However neither of the AV's i saw removed the Banking Trojan completely once the system/browser is compromised>> I installed these AV after
getting my browser infected (likely) to test how far their removal rate would be..as expected it is DISMAL!!)

Kaspersky uses hardened Internet Explorer.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Would a secured VM or one of the AV's "banking mode" protect you even if your computer is already infected with a trojan or malware?

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Would a secured VM or one of the AV's "banking mode" protect you even if your computer is already infected with a trojan or malware?
Not possible...
Since malicious injection to the browser dll takes place at the RAM level normally by hiding/ injecting through a trusted (malicious) sys process like svhost, conhost.exe, rundll32...many more..since VM shares the similar OS and Ram
Most of the part 99%it is useless..banking Trojans are highly sophiscated..

D

Deleted member 178

Not possible...
Since malicious injection to the browser dll takes place at the RAM level normally by hiding/ injecting through a trusted (malicious) sys process like svhost, conhost.exe, rundll32...many more..since VM shares the similar OS and Ram
Most of the part 99%it is useless..banking Trojans are highly sophiscated..
It is why you have applications with memory containment/protection.
The goal of using a VM is to load a clean environment everytime you do banking online.

Last edited by a moderator:

I made this video years ago with a test system to make a point that security does not fully work.

There are solutions that work great, but the usual excuses always apply as to why people will not use them. The user doesn't know, the user doesn't want to know, the user wants to install a soft and be fully reliant upon it to protect the system, the user doesn't want to have to make a decision, such solutions are too much work, too inconvenient, blah, blah, blah.

Until the attitudes, expectations and knowledge of users changes, nothing will change. Software cannot solve those problems. No matter what technology is used. No software, that people are willing to only pay $50 or less for, can definitively solve the malware issue on a fully automated basis. At least not to most peoples' expectations.

People essentially want near-perfect security, but aren't willing to do all of the things necessary to achieve it - let alone pay for it.

And Windows is Microsoft's baby. That makes them responsible. They created it. And what they created inherently has a host of security issues. Microsoft is responsible just like a parent is responsible for their child.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.