Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Browsing Experience Security Check (aka ESNI Checker) by Cloudflare

[ < Run Test > ]

When you browse websites, there are several points where your privacy could be compromised, such as by your ISP or the coffee shop owner providing your WiFi connection. This page automatically tests whether your DNS queries and answers are encrypted, whether your DNS resolver uses DNSSEC, which version of TLS is used to connect to the page, and whether your browser supports encrypted Server Name Indication (SNI).

What do the results mean?
  • A check failure (❌) indicates that your browsing data could be vulnerable. An unwanted party could see sensitive information such as which sites or servers you are visiting, or the certificate you are using. If the DNS response is fraudulent, you could also end up visiting and/or providing data to an unintended party.
  • A pass ✅ indicates that your browser or DNS resolver supports that particular feature.
If I pass all four tests, am I secure no matter which site I browse?
  • Not necessarily. Even if you pass all four tests, the domain you are visiting also needs to support these technologies. If the domain you visit doesn't support DNSSEC, TLS 1.3, and Encrypted SNI, you are still potentially vulnerable, even if your browser supports these technologies.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

And that's the problem. Only few sites support DNSSEC and even less use eSNI.

Also I don't like their site. Tracking cookies with opt-out even if it need to be opt-in !
And they spread misinformation that using other DNS isn't secure - even if it's encrypted (I use AdGuard DoT). They only say that their own is secure this just isn't valid.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Funny thing is, that it doesn't let you visit the website anymore when having encrypted SNI enabled in Firefox. So it recommends you to enable it but doesn't let you test it, as the website isn't accessable anymore. At least thats my problem since some days. Anybody facing the same problem?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Funny thing is, that it doesn't let you visit the website anymore when having encrypted SNI enabled in Firefox. So it recommends you to enable it but doesn't let you test it, as the website isn't accessable anymore. At least thats my problem since some days. Anybody facing the same problem?
I've tried out, but here works fine (screenshot below), "ESNI" just enabled for testing, probably it causing much more issues on other websites...

Attachments

• esni.png
    esni.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 283

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.