BT Competition Pop-up

_grp_

Thread author
May 3, 2020
So, my wife was using safari this morning, and got the BT Competition Pop-Up, after a google I found this site.

I can't see any profiles in the system preferences
I can't see any apps that I consider to be dodgy
I can't see files in the folders below that I consider to be dodgy

/Library/LaunchAgents
~/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/Application Support
/Library/LaunchDaemons

I've ran Malwarebytes for Macand it's not coming up with anything.
I've looked for malicious extensions and redirects from Safari browser

Now what, hope you can help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 10.34.48.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 10.34.48.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 439

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
If this doesn't happen often or it's always on the same site, it's not related to malware but rather to the site you're visiting.

First, close that page and don't complete any of these fake surveys because they're just scams.

Let's install an ad blocker on your browser and see if we can stop this and other ads from pop-ing up.

Please install the AdGuard extension:

1. Download the extension from the App Store and run it
  2. Click "Open preferences" in the dialogue box
Install.jpg

1. In the opened Safari Preferences check the boxes "AdGuard Safari Icon" and "AdGuard".
  2. Make sure the AdGuard icon is green when visiting that site. There shouldn't be ads on the site you visit, including the one you're reported.

Last edited:

_grp_

Thread author
May 3, 2020
Hello,
If this doesn't happen often or it's always on the same site, it's not related to malware but rather to the site you're visiting.

First, close that page and don't complete any of these fake surveys because they're just scams.

Let's install an ad blocker on your browser and see if we can stop this and other ads from pop-ing up.

Please install the AdGuard extension:

1. Download the extension from the App Store and run it
  2. Click "Open preferences" in the dialogue box
Install.jpg

1. In the opened Safari Preferences check the boxes "AdGuard Safari Icon" and "AdGuard".
  2. Make sure the AdGuard icon is green when visiting that site. There shouldn't be ads on the site you visit, including the one you're reported.

Many thanks for your help.. I can confirm the pop-up only seems to happen when visiting a specific website, so it sounds like it's the website that has the issue?
I've downloaded AdGuard, but have a few additional options to what you suggested...I've checked "AdGuard Safari Icon" but the "AdGuard" option is missing.
See screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 13.44.14.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 13.44.14.png
    600.6 KB · Views: 363
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Many thanks for your help.. I can confirm the pop-up only seems to happen when visiting a specific website, so it sounds like it's the website that has the issue?
I've downloaded AdGuard, but have a few additional options to what you suggested...I've checked "AdGuard Safari Icon" but the "AdGuard" option is missing.
See screenshot
Yes, sorry. Adguard has added more fields since I've last checked. You need to enable all Adguard fields. Here's how I've set it up:

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 16.48.40.png

`This is how the icon on looks when it runs as it should. You can also to some sites that you've frequently visit and you'll notice that the ads are gone.
Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 16.46.14.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.