[Bug] Chrome & Firefox privacy leakage: search term is sent to ISP without user's consent

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
### Credit:
#### Author: duykham
#### Date: 2020-Apr-13

### Affected version:
Firefox 75.0 (64-bit), latest version as of 2020-Apr-13.
Google Chrome v81.0.4044.92 (64-bit) latest version as of 2020-Apr-13.
Platform: Windows 10

(As of my knowledge, until today 2020/05/31, there is no fix yet, later
versions are most likely affected, too).

### Title:
User's search term is accidentally sent to ISP without user's consent.

### Category:
DoH, Privacy

### Severity:
High

### Description:
When an user types a search term (e.g. "a-very-sensitive-word") into the
address bar and enter, the quick search feature will bring up search
results from a search engine (either from Google or DuckDuckGo) which is an
expected behavior.
However, the search term ("a-very-sensitive-word") is also "mistakenly"
sent to one of the (DNS) servers of the user's ISP. The user's privacy is
compromised.

The issue happens even if DoH (DNS over HTTPS) is in place. Even though,
this should not happen in any circumstances, with or without DoH. Any
information users type or search for must not not be sent out (especially

More information

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
And yet again Chrome doesn’t look so bad :ROFLMAO:
### Timeline
- 2020/04/13: Sent bug reports to both Firefox (at security () mozilla org)
and [Chrome](1070282 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail).
- 2020/04/14: Google team replied. There was a similar bug ([#479620](
479620 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail)) in their bug-tracking system but no-one had
fixed yet.
No responses from Firefox team.
- 2020/05/13: Sent another reminder to Firefox team at email address:
security () mozilla org.
- 2020/05/31: Still no responses from Firefox team.
- 2020/06/01: Bug disclosure to public.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Bugs of this kind calls for the use of a good quality router (which can use doH) in between your ISP provided modem and your pc/other devices. ISPs these days provide a locked down modem with their own dns configuration which we can't change. (I argued with my ISP, just to hear what they say, that I have paid for my modem and I need it to run my specific dns configuration, to which they replied that they need to filter some address as per law and they can't do nothing regarding this.) Everything for sake of law..my f**t.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

### Timeline
and [Chrome](1070282 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail).
479620 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail)) in their bug-tracking system but no-one had
fixed yet.
security () mozilla org.
Firefox doesn't care a long time ago about user privacy. They're only interested in making money and marketing with misinformation.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The issue happens even if DoH (DNS over HTTPS) is in place. Even though,
this should not happen in any circumstances, with or without DoH.
You can say that again: DoH + DDG = Fail! The new Windows will take care of it, when DoH will be enabled, but still, this should not be possible, unless ... .
When an user types a search term (e.g. "a-very-sensitive-word") into the address bar
And what about, when the user searches from the webpage itself and not from the address bar? The search term is still included within the URL. :unsure:

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
### Timeline
fixed yet.
security () mozilla org.
Yeah...I need more sleep. Just caught the title and skimmed.:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Reactions: oldschool

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
You can see Mozilla’s discussion on this issue here. Good news for Firefox users is Mozilla is offering a pref in the Firefox 79, (also available in Firefox 78 beta) to manage this. [...]

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
In reviewing the documentation on this it doesn't seem as severe as the title makes it out. It is only single word search terms including hyphenated terms. This can easily be mitigated in the short term by not using the url bar to search, or at least not when using single word searches. Good on Firefox for offering to disable it. But, maybe a best practice is to go to the search engine you want to use instead of using the url bar (inconvenient, but minor).

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Having enabled DNS logging, I'm seeing full domain names (not single-word queries) being sent to my ISP, even though I have DOH in Firefox set to trr 3 (no fallback).

Reactions: Protomartyr

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
So, as far as I understand, a VPN would also be useless since it would encrypt the traffic A to B but the servers still retrieve the end communication input (a.k.a the searched term). Am I right?

Reactions: Protomartyr

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
So, as far as I understand, a VPN would also be useless since it would encrypt the traffic A to B but the servers still retrieve the end communication input (a.k.a the searched term). Am I right?
The browser shouldn’t see your ISP prior to talking to your router/modem. Your ISP should only see you pointing at the VPN IP address, and with the browser looking through that tunnel they shouldn’t see the ISP at all?. As far as the browser is concerned the VPN is your ISP? I would think a VPN would help in this situation. Especially if the VPN runs their own recursive servers. But, maybe this is beyond my understanding.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Having enabled DNS logging, I'm seeing full domain names (not single-word queries) being sent to my ISP, even though I have DOH in Firefox set to trr 3 (no fallback).
Install Yoga dns and enable any doh provider ( i prefer next dns), block all tcp/udp over port53. Now dns queries will go through port 443 isp wont be able to see that. another way is to use a router with DOH capability ( DDwrt, asus wrt merlin-provide dot support-, Mikrotik hap ac, mikrotik hap ac2, ) or use linux and install cloudflared.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Do you use your ISP’s DNS on your router?
Unfortunately, yes, because the router is provided and maintained by the building where I live.

Install Yoga dns and enable any doh provider ( i prefer next dns), block all tcp/udp over port53. Now dns queries will go through port 443 isp wont be able to see that. another way is to use a router with DOH capability ( DDwrt, asus wrt merlin-provide dot support-, Mikrotik hap ac, mikrotik hap ac2, ) or use linux and install cloudflared.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about something like that or Acrylic DNS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.