BullGuard 2018 release notes

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Does the 2018 version use the same child-drawn garbage interface as the previous ones?

I bought a 10 PC 3 year license three years ago and regretted it and never used it after the first couple months. I won't make that mistake again unless they essentially re-write it.

Are they still using the abandoned HIPS from those guys at MIT?

I actually quite like UI :D but i am a simple girl. Don't know a thing about Hips though :unsure:

How many resources does AV consume?

A few opinions here @Pineapple Update - Bullguard 2018 Beta some of the folks think it's quite light, you could download the trial and see for yourself, all software "plays" differently on an individual machine.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Does the 2018 version use the same child-drawn garbage interface as the previous ones?
I admit, it does not look professionally made and techies would expect more, but for regular users it's just fine, not much settings to configure, pretty much automated security with very less user input needed, just notifications. Sadly, I am not expecting UI overhaul anytime soon. :(

I bought a 10 PC 3 year license three years ago and regretted it and never used it after the first couple months. I won't make that mistake again unless they essentially re-write
Yeah, I also have quite same situation with subscrition ending in 2020. for 3PC's and I do not currently use it in none of my systems, because I can't remotely manage users (family PC's).

Are they still using the abandoned HIPS from those guys at MIT?
Davis: Hi, does Bullguard have any HIPS like protection?
Mihai: Hello Davis!
Mihai: Yes,we have "Home network scanning".
Davis: Can you please elaborate more on that? Is it included in Internet Security version?
Mihai: Yes, it is included in the Bullguard Internet Security product.
You have received the file from Mihai
Mihai: I have sent you the Home Network Scanner" guide where you can find all the information you need about this feature.
Davis: Thank you very much. Is there any planned changes to UI in next coming versions?
Mihai: No.
Bullguards Home Network Scanner.docx

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Also their installer has always been garbage. The last time I tried it, it failed on 1 out of 3 installs. Did they fix their half baked, home-made installer?

Somehow, Bullguard doesn't instill confidence in me any longer. But if they change? Sure.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I admit, it does not look professionally made and techies would expect more, but for regular users it's just fine, not much settings to configure, pretty much automated security with very less user input needed, just notifications. Sadly, I am not expecting UI overhaul anytime soon. :(

Yeah, I also have quite same situation with subscrition ending in 2020. for 3PC's and I do not currently use it in none of my systems, because I can't remotely manage users (family PC's).

Bullguards Home Network Scanner.docx
BGIS do NOT have HIPS. Refer to the attachment and the link below

piiros-png.168335

BullGuard Desktop Protection Help – Firewall Module - BullGuard

The BullGuard Firewall features a reliable ‘intrusion detection system’ designed to protect the computer against network attacks. This system provides protection against most types of network attacks and, when needed, can be altered to either increase or decrease the security level according to your needs. You can do this through the application management system, where you can also decide which programs may use the internet connection.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

BGIS do NOT have HIPS. Refer to the attachment and the link below
That's the thing, it does not, but Bullguard support says it's HIPS relay in Home Network Scanner. I was quite surprised too by the answer, but I think they got security protection terms wrong, or they didn't understand what I meant with HIPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

catjc

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
so that's the end with my bullguard for months. :mad:

i have done a manual update and bullguard says " no connection to the servers".

2 minutes later, a popup says that the signatures were updated. What the hell is going on?

Sorry to hear, i dont have update problems. Only on saturday servers was down, maybe couple of houers .I would recommend you to contact a live chat

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

it's a pity. the new bullguard is is very light. I will give it a new try in a few weeks.
the new behavior blocker "sentry" looks interesting.
I find it more "snappier" than previous version, performance wise. I wish they implement some type of BB alerts with user control, like "Allow, Allow this time, Block, Ignore, etc" (I guess I am too used to G Datas BB with Autopilot turned off :p) unlike Bullguards automated system with just reports what actions were done by program X when BB kicked in. :cautious:

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
@amico81 Had some issues too on one of my PCs which has Bullguard installed on it, for updating signatures,but it's working fine now. A little patience my friend;)(y)

i'm waiting for some results from our malwarehub...hope to see bullguard soon.
@ av-test and av-comparatives the scores are in the middle..
i think the new version has potential.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm back to bullguard IS Version 18.343.5 and no issues so far.
And it's impressive light...lighter than eset and panda on my system..very nice.

But one question for the experts here: why isn't bullguard @virustotal??

Because it uses Bit Defender. MIT engineers/scientists developed their HIPS or whatever, but they've made a lot of changes to it since. I like Bullguard, but those bugs... Endless bugs on my test machine and some incompatibilities with other things. (Like HMPA) Also their support while responsive, isn't overly helpful. I do like it, and feel it is very lightweight, but the bugs and compatibility issues drove me off.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I use bullguard with zemana antimalware (+realtime-protection and pandora-cloud) and this combo works fine.
yes I have had bugs too with older version (freezes after shut down)...but now it's really good.
I wanna test soon bullguard with secureaplus.

Ehm so they don't have a own engine in combo with BD like emsisoft or gdata? just bitdefender signatures and the reinforced firewall?

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Build 18.1.351

Updated April 25, 2018
IMPROVEMENTS

* General:
- Streamlined log collection directly from BullGuard application for further troubleshooting of any reported issue to Technical Support team
- Improved the detection of various application crashes
BUG FIXES
* Antivirus:
- Fixed various application crashes generated by the behavioral engine
- Repaired main services to correctly loading at startup
* Parental Control: Whitelisted various applications (Spotify and Netflix)
* Game Booster: Fixed the time displaying format from AM/PM to a 24hr format

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

They really broke BB in 2018. version, it rarely blocks anything, it's almost non advisable to use. 2017 was better and BB was more responsive and sensitive. Now you can infect system with less than 5 unknown malicious threats. I wonder if it's still the case with the latest build 18.1.351 and if this fix is related to to it.
BUG FIXES
* Antivirus
:
- Fixed various application crashes generated by the behavioral engine
I hope they meant "Fixed behavioral engine crashes generated by the various applications" :D

Reactions: amico81 and catjc

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.