external prtable hard drives
System recovery
Seagate

Bushman

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2017
Hello,Thank you CS for your CF efficient settings proposal .
So I've managed to contain the Browser Chrome but how to do for Edge
Regards
Bernard

Bushman

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2017
ok Merci Umbra C'est pourquoi je n'ai pas réussi.

Ok Thanks Umbra that's why i didn't succeed

Thanks for your advices.
CF is sufficient for the use I make of.
The CS settings are effective and for me I don't need no extensions I think
With Chrome contained partially limited my PC is never infected...so why add extensions?

Chrome is not be the best choice .What's your opinion?

Thank you
Merci beaucoup

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If you use chrome without extensions, you can actually use adguard dns to block ads, or some browser with built in adblocker; brave or opera if you dont want to add them

Reactions: FrFc1908

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
This spoiler should help you on track with how a setup should be alongside good computing habits.

LDoggs recommended advice.

1. Make sure everything is on auto-update. This should include your AV, system utilities & web browser as important focal points.
This also includes but not limited to Microsoft Office, web browser extension(s)/plugins & more
2. Use an AV w/ on demand scanners. I would recommend Windows Defender for the normal home user, or if you are not confident enough you could use something stronger such as Kaspersky Free or Sophos Home Free.
With on demand scanners I would suggest to use Zemana Anti-Malware Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
3. Make sure your passwords are not easily guessable. Make sure they're strong. Alpha-numerical always helps. You can also use a Password Manager such as Keepass or Lastpass.
4. Encrypt everything (optional). Use something like Veracrypt if you wish to encrypt data for security purposes. This is to prevent any thief that's stolen your device(s) from gaining access to critical data.
5. Never ever leave your computer unattended ANYWHERE. Always make sure it's in sight or with you at all times. You never know who might be trying to gain access or steal it.
6. Always look at the URLs of emails which are sent to you. Websites will never ask for you personal details in emails. Never open emails attachments from recipients you do not know or trust. Always look at the spellings of emails too. Professional companies do not tend to have back punctuation & spelling.
7. Browsing habits, always look at the URL before you enter a site. If it looks dodgy or something doesn't look right it most likely isn't. eg; paypail.com, instead of paypal.com
8. Backup is essential to any security setup. Make sure to back up all important & personal data. This can be done weekly or monthly
9. Be careful when downloading software. Most adblocking extension stop this from adverts.
10. Never ever use pirate software or download from pirate sites, 9/10 it'll be virus infected.
11. Never install or download anything you aren't looking for.
12. Extensions I would recommend for real time protection: Netcraft + Malwarebytes
13. Nano Adblocker or uBlock Origin are amazing adblocking extensions
14. Always bookmark legitimate sites you frequently use especially banking sites. This helps you to stop falling prey to the fake & rogue sites
posing as the authentic one.

~LDogg

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Why is this security config rated as a moderate risk?
Bushman has a default /deny setup (CFW @ CS settings), I assume that Windows Defender is working in the background since he is on Windows 10, he says he has a system image backup plan in place, he uses a secure browser, he has other security measures going for him -- I don't get it. What's missing over here? Pourquoi?

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Bushman has a default /deny setup (CFW @ CS settings), I assume that Windows Defender is working in the background since he is on Windows 10, he says he has a system image backup plan in place, he uses a secure browser, he has other security measures going for him -- I don't get it. What's missing over here? Pourquoi?
They haven't bloated their setup with on-demand scanners, a very specific disk imaging/backup software, or browser extensions yet.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm still waiting for my question, He only specified as Disk Imaging Backup: Seagate... ? typed like this, it is only a brand of hard disks...

Reactions: shmu26

Bushman

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2017
This spoiler should help you on track with how a setup should be alongside good computing habits.

LDoggs recommended advice.

1. Make sure everything is on auto-update. This should include your AV, system utilities & web browser as important focal points.
This also includes but not limited to Microsoft Office, web browser extension(s)/plugins & more
2. Use an AV w/ on demand scanners. I would recommend Windows Defender for the normal home user, or if you are not confident enough you could use something stronger such as Kaspersky Free or Sophos Home Free.
With on demand scanners I would suggest to use Zemana Anti-Malware Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
3. Make sure your passwords are not easily guessable. Make sure they're strong. Alpha-numerical always helps. You can also use a Password Manager such as Keepass or Lastpass.
4. Encrypt everything (optional). Use something like Veracrypt if you wish to encrypt data for security purposes. This is to prevent any thief that's stolen your device(s) from gaining access to critical data.
5. Never ever leave your computer unattended ANYWHERE. Always make sure it's in sight or with you at all times. You never know who might be trying to gain access or steal it.
6. Always look at the URLs of emails which are sent to you. Websites will never ask for you personal details in emails. Never open emails attachments from recipients you do not know or trust. Always look at the spellings of emails too. Professional companies do not tend to have back punctuation & spelling.
7. Browsing habits, always look at the URL before you enter a site. If it looks dodgy or something doesn't look right it most likely isn't. eg; paypail.com, instead of paypal.com
8. Backup is essential to any security setup. Make sure to back up all important & personal data. This can be done weekly or monthly
9. Be careful when downloading software. Most adblocking extension stop this from adverts.
10. Never ever use pirate software or download from pirate sites, 9/10 it'll be virus infected.
11. Never install or download anything you aren't looking for.
12. Extensions I would recommend for real time protection: Netcraft + Malwarebytes
13. Nano Adblocker or uBlock Origin are amazing adblocking extensions
14. Always bookmark legitimate sites you frequently use especially banking sites. This helps you to stop falling prey to the fake & rogue sites
posing as the authentic one.

~LDogg
Thanks for the advices

Bushman

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2017
I've no problem I think with my security config With the CS settings on CFW .
With chrome partially restricted i've no more Tracking cookie and moreover downloads placed in a special folder VTRoot.
For me since I use CFW CS Settings instead of other classical antimalwares my OS is fatest and I think more proactive on the unknown IT risks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.