Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Sophos said:
A woman who tried to unlock a stolen iPhone unwittingly took her own photo. An app on the phone then automatically sent the photo to the owner, who called the police.

The app, identified by some media outlets as iGotYa, can only be installed on jailbroken iPhones.

iGotYa takes a picture of anyone who tries to unlock it, maps their location and then sends the information to the owner in an email.

That's exactly what happened in this particular case, Sussex Police said, with an iPhone that had been stolen from the Coalition nightclub in Brighton, East Sussex, earlier this month.

Police have released the picture of the woman who might have stolen the phone.

sussex-police-image-woman1.jpg

Read more: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/12/11/did-she-steal-the-iphone-app-takes-photo-of-woman-trying-to-unlock-it/

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I had that app when I still had my Jailbroken iPhone 4s.What a great app and priceless if it is stolen and tried to unlock

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Lol my cousin used Cerberus on my tablet to picture the whole home. :D It is nice but a software bug in the OS of my phone makes a shutter sound when pictured, which will make the thief turn the phone off.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Don't know, if i found a lost iPhone i would probably try to unlock it as well.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
iPanik said:
Don't know, if i found a lost iPhone i would probably try to unlock it as well.

Exactly, how else do you find the owner / parents / friends phone number to return the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.