File and Photo backup
MEGAsync and USB.

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
It seems very good, Butterfly, but consider adding another on-demand scanner (i.e. HitmanPro), as herdProtect, with all its engines, presents ambiguous results (be 100% sure for at least one false positive/detection by one of its engines).
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Butterfly

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
It seems very good, Butterfly, but consider adding another on-demand scanner (i.e. HitmanPro), as herdProtect, with all its engines, present ambiguous results (be 100% sure for at least one false positive/detection by one of its engines).
Thanks for sharing.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free will be good?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello and thank you for sharing your configuration with us, Butterfly.
I like what I see, & suggest adding the following:
  1. A free password manager that uses encryption security to prevent data theft while additionally making my life wonderfully less complicated is also called LastPass. www.lastpass.com
  2. Something already mentioned by our one and only frogboy, was to create a back up; but more thorough than essential space for data recovery, but by creating an ISO image of your system could surely remedy if the unthinkable & unexpected came to pass. Macrium Reflect http://www.macrium.com/ is what I'll be using if ever we need a figurative time machine in order to return to Windows 7 SP 1 & 8.1 from the 5th Dimension of Windows ten!:p
  3. Lastly, and optionally, would be to add a responsive & frequently updated Chromium sourced browser to supplement your Favorite (Firefox) I've personally needed to turn to when Firefox faultered on one of our systems was, in fact, Slimjet x86. http://www.slimjet.com/en/ The portable version's what we use, and it isquite light on the system!:):)

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi, it is a very good config, I suggest you to install Collusion extension for your browser, which let you know which sites are tracking you. You can also add cyscon Phishing Protection extension for Firefox.
Thanks for sharing it ;)

Butterfly

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
Alright you guys convinced me to adding Google Chrome but I'm afraid adding Macrium Reflect and backing up with it will require too much disk space from me and I don't have a lot of it right now :( I think using System Restore will be fine for now, I really don't have anything too important left to backup, I can download everything again at the worst case.

Last edited:
S

starchild76

System restore can be faulty and Back-up programs are more trustworthy. Especially the ones Our man from downunder sugested to you. You could consider to buy an external drive to save the backups the program makes or go a completely different route ; install rollback rx this program makes a snapshot of the current state of your harddrive and stores it in a hidden part of Your drive. When you get hit by a piece of malware , program update or hardware faillure you can simply. Restore it to a working state again. I have used it With much pleassure and joy and it saved my rearend a couple of times! How is bitdefender working Out for you? Still buggy and slow on the system? For the rest i have nothing to add to Your config

Butterfly

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
System restore can be faulty and Back-up programs are more trustworthy. Especially the ones Our man from downunder sugested to you. You could consider to buy an external drive to save the backups the program makes or go a completely different route ; install rollback rx this program makes a snapshot of the current state of your harddrive and stores it in a hidden part of Your drive. When you get hit by a piece of malware , program update or hardware faillure you can simply. Restore it to a working state again. I have used it With much pleassure and joy and it saved my rearend a couple of times! How is bitdefender working Out for you? Still buggy and slow on the system? For the rest i have nothing to add to Your config
Thanks for all of the information, I will definitely check out RollBack Rx. :) And Bitdefender is working out good for me, personally I barely experienced any bugs or slow downs (unlike some people on the forum i see?) with Bitdefender, the only bug i remember is that one time I couldn't recover a file Bitdefender detected. Maybe it's just my system but i did try out AVs like Avast and ESET and I don't see any noticeable slow downs compared to them, so i just kept going with Bitdefender since they say it has better detection rate and it requires less configuration. :)

S

starchild76

So true everyone had his or het favorite av , it just boils down to what tour needs are. I am an Avg hall of famer and used the product for many years although it is the not the best and stubborn like a donkey i just felt comfortable using it. Nice to hear that bitdefender does this for You! There is also a free version of rollback available.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.