Bypass Surveys on survey site?

ryoarmanda

Thread author
Apr 27, 2013
First of all, Hello. Sorry for posting this in wrong palce.

I recently given a download link of my important thing from an user in a community forum. But he placed it on a download site that must be completed a Survey to continue. I choose the selection of "Download (Insert name product here)" because i think it's the safest. Redirected to a site that prompted me to download VLC Media Player. I know it's not an official site but i downloaded it (But not run the setup and installed it). I checked using virustotal and the results are in Here. I don't know what is Somoto or some such.

Is this computer-friendly?
And how to download my important thing without completing surveys like this?

Thanks in Advance

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello

As far as I know, these "download survey sites" are scams. Do not submit personal details or download/install anything from their sites. I've only ever seen bots (not real humans) post links to these kinds of sites.

Somoto Toolbar is a browser hijack, it will probably install without your approval (even if unchecked), and cause redirects and unwanted pop-ups. Plus a hassle to remove (in most cases).

You can download VLC Media Player, free of charge from their website. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

You can ask your friend to upload the file to another service (ie. mediafire, zippyshare, skydrive, dropbox etc). Also do you have an AdBlocker installed?

ryoarmanda

Thread author
Apr 27, 2013
I have asked my friend to change download service. Wow, it can hijack my browser to install unwanted toolbars? That's crazy. And yeah i installed AdBlocker
I asked my friend to change download services. I don't know it can hijack and install unwanted toolbars, good thing i didn't run the setup. And i have AdBlock installed. Thank You :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Surveys websites are always scams, users who upload files to these sites get commission off of how many redirects to the download files.

Make sure the person who gave you the link is an actual friend (someone you actually know in person) because he could just be a scam artist trying to get commission off of you.

Watch out for BetterInstaller installers from Somoto. They bundle a bunch of malware, rogueware and other junk into their installers. They connect the their servers and download all of the extra crap in the background sometimes without you knowing about it. The installer is very tricky, you must decline and unsellect all check boxes or you will end up with a bunch of junk some could be malicious.

I suggest check you Control Panel for Programs and remove anything it might have installed. Run full scan with Malwarebytes, make sure you have an official AV installed and updated.

Enjoy!!:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Stay away from sites that holds survey, even you are gonna use Adblocker then they will just blocked also and asked to turned it off.

So many legitimate sites that are survey free and safe applications.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.