117.7 KB · Views: 540
Reactions: Ulikedat

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This is outdated and hasnt been updated since at least sometime in 2011.It is still v.1.5.I downloaded it,on install asked me to download an update which took me to apparently their chinese affiliate, needed translator.The website is bare bones with not much info.Anyway installed and scanned with it on a clean system which gave me many false positives such as Malwarebytes gui. and other legitimate software. I have seen some test results on it and it didnt catch anything.To be fair since I ran it on a clean machine maybe somebody could test this.There are many very good free antimalware programs out there,this is just one I dont think I would use.

magicalsnap201211180027.jpg

Didnt have enough nerve to try the quack scan

KelvinW4

Level 1
Thread author
May 8, 2012
Yes, indeed, it has some bugs. But it is sure to have false positives because it is only heuristics based.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I understand having false positives but it is supposed to stop the malware too not just legitimate programs.Until someone tests it here Im not using it

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
cruelsister said:
Default Re: ByteHero (Unknown-virus Detection Software)
I tried ByteHero again today, thinking that I wasn't quite fair yesterday:

1). This program is not malware. Period. I set both the scanner and the Protection Mode at the highest setting.
2). I chose 5 trojans from my testing this morning, and 1 java exploit. I did a "Quack Scan" on the folder containing the 6 and BH said all was well.
3). I then ran the Exploit. BH scanned it and let it through.
4). I ran a trojan downloader. BH scanned it, let it through. Looking at network traffic I now had many connections to Eastern Europe.
5). I ran some Ransomware. BH scanned it, let it through. A few seconds later the machine rebooted and the usual Russian alert came up and the computer was rendered useless.
6). Does anyone blame me for not starting over and trying the remaining 3 trojans?

It would be nice if someone tested here.It would be interesting to see how it does

KelvinW4

Level 1
Thread author
May 8, 2012
I tested it before, it usually detects 30-50% of the 100 packs of malware, which is not bad for no signatures.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
KelvinW4 said:
I tested it before, it usually detects 30-50% of the 100 packs of malware, which is not bad for no signatures.

It is probably ok as an additional post infection on demand scanner but Im just saying there are better free antimalware programs that are updated with better detection rates.

Nothing against you or your post Kelvin.In fact it is good to post these softwares which help members in making an educated decision on what to use,kudos to you.I am just giving my opinion for whatever its worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.