Cambridge Analytica Uncovered

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

The video follows an investigation by The Guardian and The Observer, along with The New York Times, which revealed that Cambridge and its related company, SCL, harvested data on 50 million Facebook users, and may have kept it, despite promises to Facebook that they deleted the information in 2015. Cambridge and SCL have denied these accusations, and in a statement to Channel 4, the company also denied "any allegation that Cambridge Analytica or any of its affiliates use entrapment, bribes, or so-called 'honey-traps' for any purpose whatsoever."

The video evidence suggests otherwise.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
This is a good example of the ongoing dilemma we have to face with the system of capitalism, Greed, I'm guilty of it myself, I don't think it's avoidable. God help us?

Really good article upnorth.

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
Well - I saw nothing new in that video. Same old crap used for hundreds of years. Note that in 20 minutes they did not mention Facebook or Trump. Why? I would think they would be real proud of that.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I still have hope for capitalism frogboy but the one thing I can't accept about it presumes that we are and always will be led by are worst human nature and there is a lot to be said on this but we can change our nature, our impulses, I have and I'm nothing special. Collectively we have to want to do things right, smartly, think long term? I don't know what it will take to get us there but I do think it could happen.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Alex Stamos was/is working for Facebook. Facebook’s security chief to depart role over company’s handling of misinformation [Updated]

The case with Cambridge Analytica is taking new twists as the UK information officer Elizabeth Denham have issued through the court a warrant to seize Cambridge Analytica's servers.
Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham on Cambridge Analytica and Facebook: ‘We should all be shocked and deeply concerned’

Kind of odd IMO to warn possible suspects almost 12 hours before they are raided.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Facebook presents itself as a ad funded social media site. I hope this is the beginning of the end of people believing that.
They exist to harvest your data and sell it to third party customers and governments for profit. The interaction with friends and family is to leverage information about you.

P

plat1098

You have to wonder how long and how much longer this sort of thing will go on for. Or will it never stop.:unsure::(

No, not going to stop because the players shape-shift and manufacture their own gas to keep it going. See, now Facebook can use this "disclosure" to bolster its grubby public persona and maybe stem some of the mass exodus of disgusted subscribers. On and on.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
upnorth, I think that your sources from the first post of this topic are Fake News sources par excellence...
...who only carry biased propaganda, so it's no use, that I read their ramblings, waste of time.
I invite you to think about this citation (from my topic: Facebook - How To Change Your Facebook Settings To Opt Out of Platform API Sharing ):

"Over the weekend, it became clear that Cambridge Analytica, a data analytics company, got access to more than 50 million Facebook users’ data in 2014. The data was overwhelmingly collected, shared, and stored without user consent. The scale of this violation of user privacy reflects how Facebook’s terms of service and API were structured at the time. Make no mistake: this was not a data breach. This was exactly how Facebook’s infrastructure was designed to work."

So clearly it's Facebook's fault, the blame is on Facebook administration...
- my position is not biased by membership, Facebook in particular, I don't care about Facebook, even I no longer look at it to read...

Why We're Not Calling the Cambridge Analytica Story a 'Data Breach'
on motherboard.vice.com: Why We're Not Calling the Cambridge Analytica Story a 'Data Breach'
"In 2014, when Kogan collected the data of 50 million people, he was playing by the rules. At the time, Facebook allowed third party apps to collect not only the data of the people who consented to giving it up, but also their friends’ data. The company later shut down this functionality.
Facebook says the data was misused because Kogan told Facebook he would use it only for academic research. But that might be the only anomalous thing about this case.
Facebook obviously doesn't want the public to think it suffered a massive security breach, like Yahoo did in 2013 and 2014. We agree not because we want to minimize the significance of the Cambridge Analytica story, but because the real story is far more troubling: This data collection was par for the course. In other words, it was a feature, not a bug. And while the process that Kogan exploited is no longer allowed, Facebook still collects—and then sells—massive amounts of data on its users." ...

- so in short:
"...it was a feature, not a bug. ... Facebook still collects—and then sells—massive amounts of data on its users."

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
upnorth, I think that your sources from the first post of this topic are Fake News sources par excellence...
...who only carry biased propaganda, so it's no use, that I read their ramblings, waste of time.

Seriously? The Guardian, The Observer, The New York Times and Channel 4?

Your choise and your opinion. (y) No problem for me but I do strongly suggest people to actually watch the video because thats the Hard Core Fact no matter what anyone thinks or feels about it or it's sources.

One last thing for now...this " News " is also posted about here : Security Alert - UK investigates Facebook over data breach, to raid Cambridge Analytica and that's even a sticky! :coffee:

Last edited:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Facebook still collects—and then sells—massive amounts of data on its users."

You say this like it's a bad thing? I'm pretty sure you are a free market capitalist, buyer beware and so on so It's not facebooks fault either, they spell it out in the user agreement volumes very clearly. If the user doesn't opt out than their information is used, thats the price they pay to use the facebook platform, a fair trade.

Seriously? The Guardian, The Observer, The New York Times and Channel 4?

Your choise and your opinion. (y) No problem for me but I do strongly suggest people to actually watch the video because thats the Hard Core Fact no matter what anyone thinks or feels about it or it's sources.

One last thing for now...this " News " is also posted about here : Security Alert - UK investigates Facebook over data breach, to raid Cambridge Analytica and that's even a sticky! :coffee:

Yea upnorth, who are you going to believe, the politically extreme right or your own lying eyes.;)

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Data consulting firm Cambridge Analytica, which worked with Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign, announced Tuesday that it has suspended its chief executive officer, Alexander Nix, pending an internal investigation. The news comes as Cambridge and its British counterpart, SCL, face a barrage of questions over how their companies managed 50 million Facebook users' data, and also whether Nix and other executives use dirty tricks like extortion and fake news on behalf of their clients, as they appear to discuss freely in a recent undercover video filmed by British news network Channel 4 News.

Cambridge Analytica's board of directors announced the suspension on the company website, writing, "In the view of the Board, Mr. Nix’s recent comments secretly recorded by Channel 4 and other allegations do not represent the values or operations of the firm and his suspension reflects the seriousness with which we view this violation."

Full source : Cambridge Analytica Suspends CEO Alexander Nix Amid Scandals

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
Minds.com is an up and coming alternative.

@BryanB - surely you jest. What % of users you think Read the Terms AND wade thru all the garbage to change settings? 1 %? Laffable. Probably less than 1/1000th of a percent. It can take a knowledgeable person and hour or so to wade thru their crap. Of course all by intention.

Remember FB has a 2011 agreement with the FTC that prohibits them from doing exactly what they did!

NY Times is Extreme Right? Are you BSing?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.