Serious Discussion Can Comodo Sandbox container be installed just by itself without anyting else?

cartaphilus

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2023
I am helping a friend who used to use sandboxie and is attempting to try something else. Can a user install just the Comodo Sandbox Container without having anything else installing and using resources? He has his own preveffered AV solution and security. He is basically looking for a Sanboxie like containment that's not sandboxie.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
No, unfortunately, Comodo Sandbox Container is part of the Comodo Internet Security suite and cannot be installed separately. It's integrated with other components of the suite to provide comprehensive protection. Your friend might need to look for other standalone sandbox solutions if he doesn't want to change his current AV solution.

pxxb1

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I am helping a friend who used to use sandboxie and is attempting to try something else. Can a user install just the Comodo Sandbox Container without having anything else installing and using resources? He has his own preveffered AV solution and security. He is basically looking for a Sanboxie like containment that's not sandboxie.

Minimum install is the firewall, which you can inactivate after installation and just use the s-box.

Why not Sandboxie?

cartaphilus

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2023
Minimum install is the firewall, which you can inactivate after installation and just use the s-box.

Why not Sandboxie?
He is using ESET Premium with firewall so I don't know if it will conflict or not. I think from what I understand his reasoning is the eventual employment of the software post containment. Basically a containment being a holdover sandbox to see if the software works and is worth installing and doens't interfere with the system.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I believe it's possible but you still need elements of CF enabled for it to work such as file rating as you'll need local safe list as well as cloud. It's been some time since I looked into it but I don't see the benefit if the user is already using a full security suite.

pxxb1

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
He is using ESET Premium with firewall so I don't know if it will conflict or not. I think from what I understand his reasoning is the eventual employment of the software post containment. Basically a containment being a holdover sandbox to see if the software works and is worth installing and doens't interfere with the system.

Sandboxie has its limitation when it comes to that. Something which is more dedicated to that job is Windows sandbox, which is only available for the Pro version of Windows. Deep Freeze from Faronics is another option. Or maybe something like Rollback RX or EazyFix. One makes a copy of the OS in seconds and installs the software, and if needed, Roll back the OS to before the install in the amount of time it takes to restart the pc. I use the former, (same program different companies) works smoothly. All suggestions has to be paid for, if he does not already have the W-Pro version.

Last edited:

rashmi

Level 7
Jan 15, 2024
Can a user install just the Comodo Sandbox Container without having anything else installing?
He is basically looking for a Sanboxie like containment that's not sandboxie.
No, you cannot install only Comodo Containment.

Comodo Secure Shopping is a suitable alternative. Unfortunately, the installer's digital signatures suggest it has received no updates since August 2019. Secure Browser and Secure Desktop are part of Comodo Secure Shopping, resembling the virtual browser and virtual desktop in Comodo Firewall. With its secure desktop, you can run browsers and programs virtually.

I tested Comodo Secure Shopping on my Windows 11 23H2 (OS build 22631.3593), and it worked well. It installed smoothly, and Chrome and Firefox ran virtually with no issues. I had no issues running all my installed and portable programs in the secure desktop environment. I'm unsure about the effectiveness or compatibility of the containment technology with the operating system. Overall, it's a useful product, and I hope they update it or release a new version similar to Comodo Firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.