Question Can Kaspersky be ran in a container like docker and still scan the files of the host OS?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
I don't know if I should place this in OS sub or Kaspersky sub so I placed it here.

Anyhow I would like to use KAV as a second opinion scanner so basically on demand without the need to have it run in real time.

Thus could I use docker to scan the host files and hard drive (I understand that disinfecting won't be possible) and am I able to dump an exe into the container and have it executed? That way KAVs other blades besides scanner can take a peek at the OS?

Edit: I just realized that I won't be able to safely detonate am exe via a container because container runs on host OS kernel. Oh well so at least the scanner part could in theory work?

Otherwise, is VM the only logical way to do such a thing? And if so then which VM do you all recommend for ease of dropping files between host and VM whilst still being mostly isolated?

Reactions: starsfighter

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
I don't know if I should place this in OS sub or Kaspersky sub so I placed it here.

Anyhow I would like to use KAV as a second opinion scanner so basically on demand without the need to have it run in real time.

Thus could I use docker to scan the host files and hard drive (I understand that disinfecting won't be possible) and am I able to dump an exe into the container and have it executed? That way KAVs other blades besides scanner can take a peek at the OS?

Edit: I just realized that I won't be able to safely detonate am exe via a container because container runs on host OS kernel. Oh well so at least the scanner part could in theory work?

Otherwise, is VM the only logical way to do such a thing? And if so then which VM do you all recommend for ease of dropping files between host and VM whilst still being mostly isolated?
if you want it to be a SOS use Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.