Troubleshoot Can File Explorer's default file sort settings be changed?

Anti

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2017
On File Explorer, the default sort setting is by name. I am willing to change that.

Not for 1 folder, but for all folders.

Is there a way I can?

Reactions: upnorth and AtlBo
D

Deleted member 65228

Not as far as I am aware but when you view a folder all it takes is one click to sort by another characteristic (e.g. date modified, type, file-size, etc). Bear in mind you can add columns for different characteristics by right-clicking the column headers.

For sorting folders with characteristics not supported by Windows Explorer, you'd need third-party software/your own. I don't know of any third-party solution for this specifically though.

Reactions: upnorth and AtlBo
Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Try this. Open File Explorer and change to your desired view and sorting option. Open Folder options | Viw tab and apply to folders

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.