Troubleshoot Can I connect a tower to a laptop for more processing power?

maxoray

Thread author
May 22, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
none
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
none
I would like to connect my very old tower (a Gateway SX2370-UB30P) to my laptop (Microsoft Surface Laptop). I want to do this so I can have an extra monitor, and have my laptop handle the stress of streaming and my desktop handle the stress of gaming. Is this possible? If so how would I set it up?

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I would like to connect my very old tower (a Gateway SX2370-UB30P) to my laptop (Microsoft Surface Laptop). I want to do this so I can have an extra monitor, and have my laptop handle the stress of streaming and my desktop handle the stress of gaming. Is this possible? If so how would I set it up?
Eh. No. You can attach an eGPU (an extra graphics card) to laptops, but your laptop doesn't have Thunderbold. External Graphics Enclosure - Razer Core V2
I've never seen how you can connect two PCs together.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Nope. You would need a 3rd computer to act as a server handing off tasks to the two connected computers - sort of a distributed computing project. But this type project would not improve your gaming experience.

If you want two monitors, your Gateway PC supports two as is. Or you could add a graphics card to it for better graphics processing. It looks like it came with 4GB of RAM and 64-bit Windows so you could probably double the RAM easily too, for more power.

However, to support the added demands of a better graphics card, you likely will need to upgrade the power supply too since according to these specs, it only came with a 220W supply.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.