Advice Request Can i run windows 7 x64

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken1337

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 13, 2015
i was wondering if i could run windows 7 ultimate x64? i checked securable it says my pc can support 64 bit
my specs are

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz
4GB Ram
600GB HDD
Geforce 210 1gb

L

LabZero

32-bit version of Windows is designed to work well with a 32-bit processor (can also be installed with a 64-bit processor, but it would be less efficient of the 64-bit version), while the 64-bit version of Windows must be installed on computers with 64-bit processor.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Since the Pentium 4's were produced from 2000-2008 (according to Wikipedia), some of them should be able to work with 64bit OS. Think it was around 2006 when many processors were x64 from there on (which means x86-64 so they work with both x86 (32bit) and x64 (64bit)).

The biggest problem is that a Pentium 4 isn't a very powerful processor. I own many of them from 2000 and onward. I ran Windows XP great on them, Windows 7 was also ok but the integrated graphics will not support aero. Aero should work fine with your GPU (I personally own a Gigabyte Geforce 210 1GB edition - so I know is can run any OS. No matter how crazy the effects are (including the crap that Linux has - that real crazy wobbly windows nonsense that looks dumb. lol) Of course these things take a ride on the CPU as well and Pentium 4 does not handle them well.

As said by @safe1st you will experience some performance problems with that CPU and while official specs say 4GB, I personally recommend 5GB and up. In general, while you will lose 512GB of RAM using a 32bit OS with 4GB RAM (32bit only supports 3.5GB of RAM), you will have much better performance.

Windows 7 32bit (any edition) should work fine. I've never had a key for Windows 7, 8(.1), or 10 that didn't accept both 32 and 64bit versions of the edition. For example, Windows 7 Professional 32bit key will work on a 64bit edition of Windows 7 Professional.

Ken1337

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 13, 2015
64bit? Better dont. You need more ram and better CPU - that specs will lag

Also I dont think that your P4 support 64bit OS
Capture.PNG

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Might be an Intel Pentium 4 HT 551 which is clocked at 3.4GHz and supports full x64. It's a considerably more powerful than my old Pentium 4 3.2 HT (and 2 years newer - 2003 vs 2005). It's been at least 8 years since I tried Windows 7 on a Pentium 4 but I remember it running faster than Windows XP (however I was also running 32bit). Even ran Windows 8 without dedicated GPU and 2GB of DDR RAM. It was the preview.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes (if you want to - would personally be very interested in hearing it works great).

Reactions: safe1st
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.