Advice Request Can I use Google Drive to archive my data?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Hey, guys, so I heard that you can use your Google Drive account for archiving your data by this way: You pay for example for 1 TB plan, upload your data there and that's it. The next month you don't pay for it and cancel your plan. You data will stay there and you can download it, you just can't upload anything. Do you guys have experience with this method and do someone know how long will Google Drive store my data until they delete it? Thanks.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have never heard of that method before, so it's a risk you'll need to take if you chose to Subscribe and Cancel.

What are your thoughts on purchasing an external HDD (USB 3.0) with 1TB or more storage. One-off payment and No monthly fees. :p

More Information: Purchase, cancellation, & refund policies - Drive Help

If you cancel your storage plan or when your storage plan expires, your storage limits will reset to the free levels for each product at the end of your billing cycle. Everything in Google Drive, Google Photos, and Gmail will still be accessible, but you won't be able to create or add anything new over the free storage limit. If you reach or exceed the free storage limit:
  • Google Drive: You won't be able to sync or upload new files, and syncing between your Google Drive folder and My Drive will stop. You'll still be able to create Google documents since they don't take up any storage space.

If eligible, Google Drive offers - Drive Help

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I have never heard of that method before, so it's a risk you'll need to take if you chose to Subscribe and Cancel.

What are your thoughts on purchasing an external HDD (USB 3.0) with 1TB or more storage. One-off payment and No monthly fees. :p

More Information: Purchase, cancellation, & refund policies - Drive Help

If eligible, Google Drive offers - Drive Help
Thanks for your reply. Haha, yes, that's a method I am already using - I have the files on my 1 TB disk and I would like to backup them to Google Drive to have 2 backups. BTW you have a nice new avatar :)

Reactions: LASER_oneXM and Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.