Can Malwarebytes 3.0 replace an anti virus

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know whether if I can use Malwarebytes 3.0 as my main anti virus?, or do I need a separate anti virus?

Kind Regards
Taga

Reactions: bribon77

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
So you are saying Malwarebytes 2.0 can be used as an anti virus without using an anti virus?, or r u saying Malwarebytes that's older than v2.0 can be used as an anti virus without using an anti virus

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The old Malwarebytes Anti malware could do the work alone without any av. This one cant :(
Actually, it still can be.
Malwarebytes 3 - Frequently Asked Questions
For our users who do prefer to continue using a traditional antivirus alongside Malwarebytes, by all means please continue to do so. Malwarebytes will always maintain compatibility with all major security software on the market, both free and paid.

Edit: I think I misread your post and what you were saying is that you do need to use Malwarebytes 3 with an antivirus.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
They should make Malwarebytes anti exploit+anti adware imo. I'd love a product like that. Anti-Exploit+ anti-adware components(including adwcleaner and JRT) would be light and work properly. That or just make a cloud version of anti malware.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
They should make Malwarebytes anti exploit+anti adware imo. I'd love a product like that. Anti-Exploit+ anti-adware components(including adwcleaner and JRT) would be light and work properly. That or just make a cloud version of anti malware.
Anti-exploit Premium was good. The free (now beta) version has always been absolutely pointless while EMET is still supported.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know whether if I can use Malwarebytes 3.0 as my main anti virus?, or do I need a separate anti virus?

Kind Regards
Taga

Nope. We are taking over for a firm that used MBAM 3.0 as their only, and exclusive protection. ALL of the machines are infected and they'll be spending about 3K for us to clean them all up during onboarding.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I mean, you can. Actually you can tweak your Windows a bit and not even use MalwareBytes and still not get infected. Everything relies on you. Your browsing habits, your online tasks and transactions, wether you connect from your house only or you visit public spaces.

On a regular life user, no, i would not rely on MalwareBytes as my primary solution. I'd better go with Windows Defender and use some on-demand scanner. Why are you trying to make MB your primary solution? Is it resource usage? There's plenty of software better and lighter. Search the forums and you'll find suggestions.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Malwarebytes is relying on its good reputation to convince people their product is an AV while it actually should remain in the anti malware category.
What this means is that worm detection, for example, is pretty low and signatures are very late compared do major engines like BD or Kaspersky.
On a regular basis, I would recommend to use Windows Defender and disable Malwarebytes real time protection. You can still use it as an on demand scanner.
My honest opinion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.