Troubleshoot Can someone help me with Linux please?

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
None
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Searched on the internet a lot!
Hello! :) I am not sure if I have opened this thread to correct area, if not so, please do move it elsewhere :)

I have a little question to ask of Linux systems. I am well aware of the awesomeness of Linux systems and I'd very like to use it as my main OS. But time ago, I have used Ubuntu versions and failed to correctly use my graphics card.

My graphics card is a switchable GPU,it is AMD Radeon HD 6470M, can you please find me a solution for this one? I mean, a correct & working driver? I've read on the internet that switchable graphics are not well working on Linux systems.. Is that correct?

On Windows, the AMD driver installs by itself an AMD and an Intel (HD 3000) driver.. Intel is operated for normal daily uses, and AMD for high-amount graphic usages. If you can find me a reliable and correct solution, I'll be in your debt like...forever! :) And will install it over my Windows preferance.

Whatever the result will be, thanks in advance for reading and/or replying! :)

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I believe you will firstly need to specify which distribution of Linux you are running (e.g. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc).

Reactions: Sven
Upvote 0

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I'm not on any Linux distro at the moment, but if I could find and have options for the graphics, I'd gladly test it out or install the well-known Ubuntu :)

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Hello! :) I am not sure if I have opened this thread to correct area, if not so, please do move it elsewhere :)

I have a little question to ask of Linux systems. I am well aware of the awesomeness of Linux systems and I'd very like to use it as my main OS. But time ago, I have used Ubuntu versions and failed to correctly use my graphics card.

My graphics card is a switchable GPU,it is AMD Radeon HD 6470M, can you please find me a solution for this one? I mean, a correct & working driver? I've read on the internet that switchable graphics are not well working on Linux systems.. Is that correct?

On Windows, the AMD driver installs by itself an AMD and an Intel (HD 3000) driver.. Intel is operated for normal daily uses, and AMD for high-amount graphic usages. If you can find me a reliable and correct solution, I'll be in your debt like...forever! :) And will install it over my Windows preferance.

Whatever the result will be, thanks in advance for reading and/or replying! :)
I'm assuming this may have been quite a while ago you last tried, maybe a couple years? There are pages of Ubuntu issues with this being resolved dating back to 2011.. With newer versions of Ubuntu since been released, it may be supported now..

Upvote 0

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
I'm assuming this may have been quite a while ago you last tried, maybe a couple years? There are pages of Ubuntu issues with this being resolved dating back to 2011.. With newer versions of Ubuntu since been released, it may be supported now..

I think on the newest release of Mint they solved some issues with Multi-GPU devices as well, Mint is based on Ubuntu.

May wanna give it a spin? :)

Upvote 0

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013

Hmmm, it was like 1 or 2 years ago at max. :)

I think on the newest release of Mint they solved some issues with Multi-GPU devices as well, Mint is based on Ubuntu.

May wanna give it a spin? :)

Hmmmm, that is sure good news guys, let me give it a spin! :) I'll check and reply as i see how it goes :)

Reactions: illumination
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@Sven Since you are not actually using Linux at the moment, I recommend you give it a try.
One of the most user-friendly and versatile Linux distributions, in my opinion, is Linux Mint. (like other members suggested in this thread)
You should start with that one. :D

Upvote 0

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
@Sven Since you are not actually using Linux at the moment, I recommend you give it a try.
One of the most user-friendly and versatile Linux distributions, in my opinion, is Linux Mint. (like other members suggested in this thread)
You should start with that one. :D

Thanks! :) I am aware how the things go and work in Linux for most of the part, but I like Unity of Ubuntu over Mint :)

I'll be checking it right now :)

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Thanks! :) I am aware how the things go and work in Linux for most of the part, but I like Unity of Ubuntu over Mint :)

I'll be checking it right now :)
Let us know how it turns out. If you run into any issues with your GPU, report back here and we could try to help you out! :p

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually Ubuntu and other mainstream Linux derivatives have more chance to work fully due to numerous development phase and users request for compatibility. Of course in order to test then you need to test the OS itself.

Cheers for that success and have fun. ;)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.