App Review Can Windows 8.1 Block Malware? - (mrizos)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello Freddy.

Yes windows 8 has a better out of the box protection against malware and together with smart screen it is suppose to have some basic standoff against online dangers. However in regards to smart screen and its protection it is known to block and flag most exe files.
This due to the reputation based ratings of a file. In the past and even today its known to block legit exe files as well.
Pure due their low reputation, so personally i cannot consider that as true protection vs true malware.
Granted for the average user stopping exe files is a rather simple solution.

In regards to windows defender it shares its detection with MS security essentials (which is not that bad) however its clean up capacity against NOT common online dangers is not as effective as your video would suggest.

General rule of thumb is that for example email distributed malware like the 5 zip files are often well know and given the files you showed ill even bet that they are part of the same known malware family.
Still i think its good that windows 8 seems to make a effort to have at least a baseline protection.
But personally by the time i would migrate to windows 8 thats going to be the day hell freezes over.
Anyway nice review.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I think as we begin to see new weather trends, and while :eek:'Hell freezes over' in North America's plains regions, even reaching as far as it's southern states, more people may be confined to their homes which could mean more users might see fit to support another new "trend" by turning on Windows 8.. that is, up until the time their power lines go down:(.;)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.