Can you get avast! free as just an on-demand scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Would avast! accept that or raise hell about it with your system? I know Emsisoft converts to on-demand when its free trial runs out.

Are there other programs that run a good boot scan like avast! does?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

echo1

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 18, 2014
Avast Free installs in a configuration where the real-time protection is enabled. You can disable real-time protection, essentially rendering it to "on-demand." The only thing you have to remember is that every time your system reboots, Avast Free's real-time protection is automatically re-enabled, requiring you to then disable it.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Would avast! accept that or raise hell about it with your system? I know Emsisoft converts to on-demand when its free trial runs out.

Are there other programs that run a good boot scan like avast! does?
conceptualclarity, this is a good question! My version of Avast! does not run out until some time in 2015, and it's the first time I've run it on one of our machines (That is, during this decade!:rolleyes:) so my gut feeling is that you'd like to keep (or renew) it for the boot scan which I also like,:cool: right?o_O
Avast Free installs in a configuration where the real-time protection is enabled. You can disable real-time protection, essentially rendering it to "on-demand." The only thing you have to remember is that every time your system reboots, Avast Free's real-time protection is automatically re-enabled, requiring you to then disable it.
echo1, this is great advice,:p although I have it set up in reverse for our Windows 8.1 with Avast! in real time, and AdAware (set in compatibility mode) as an on-demand scanner.:):) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jim lin

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
if you go into add/remove programs in the control panel you can change the install of Avast by adding
or removing modules or uncheck them as Avast installs and make it a on-demand scanner

at least you used to be able to

for a boot time scan you can use these Avira AntiVir Rescue System,AVG Rescue CD,Dr. Web LiveCD-LiveUSB

burn to cd/usb and boot from one and scan the system with out the OS running

the trouble with this is Avira AntiVir Rescue System,AVG Rescue CD,Dr. Web LiveCD-LiveUSB come out all
the time so you would need to download one before using it

:)

James

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

echo1

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 18, 2014
conceptualclarity, this is a good question! My version of Avast! does not run out until some time in 2015, and it's the first time I've run it on one of our machines (That is, during this decade!:rolleyes:) so my gut feeling is that you'd like to keep (or renew) it for the boot scan which I also like,:cool: right?o_O

echo1, this is great advice,:p although I have it set up in reverse for our Windows 8.1 with Avast! in real time, and AdAware (set in compatibility mode) as an on-demand scanner.:):) ;)

That's the nice thing about most applications, they do (with some careful configuration and testing) allow you to "slice and dice" your overall system configuration to meet your particular needs.

BTW, That's a great name you've chosen (I'm a cat lover) and the coffee quote in awesome (I'm a coffee fanatic too).

Cheers

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

I take it that you mean avast! will forcibly keep you from removing it from autostart with WinPatrol or Autoruns, otherwise you could keep it from doing that resetting of itself at the next boot.

I had avast! in 2013, but one day I woke up and it told me I was no longer registered. So I said what the heck, I'll try a six month Webroot trial along with Panda free. Panda free and Webroot ran together just fine, but I eventually got rid of Panda because I had a very difficult, protracted startup on that hard drive, and Panda's service was hitting the CPU Usage too hard early on.

I was impressed with avast!'s features. I will have a paid AV. I would like to be able to run avast! as a subordinate program, with on-demand scans and maybe some of the lesser realtime modules, stopping short of letting it be a full-fledged AV.

I thought now you could run AdAware realtime along with another AV, not just on-demand. Realtime compatibility is becoming a selling
point for some AVs: Emsisoft, Webroot, Lavasoft AdAware, and a now-discontinued Italian AV.

if you go into add/remove programs in the control panel you can change the install of Avast by adding
or removing modules or uncheck them as Avast installs and make it a on-demand scanner

at least you used to be able to

Thanks, James. Are you talking about Windows' Add/Remove? I've never seen the capability of tweaking an install there. I know you can uncheck avast!'s modules, but as echo suggests you've got to be able to prevent it from autostarting to make that stick,

for a boot time scan you can use these Avira AntiVir Rescue System,AVG Rescue CD,Dr. Web LiveCD-LiveUSB

burn to cd/usb and boot from one and scan the system with out the OS running

the trouble with this is Avira AntiVir Rescue System,AVG Rescue CD,Dr. Web LiveCD-LiveUSB come out all
the time so you would need to download one before using it

James

Do I recall rightly that Dr.Web CureIt (on-demand) is a boot scanner?

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
yes in add/remove if i remember right if you have Avast installed you run a repair install from there
and uncheck the modules you do not want or do it durning the install

depends on what OS you are using there are ways to stop Avast from starting i would think like with Ccleaner
or Autoruns,WinPatrole and the like but you might have to disable the auto protect feature

Dr. Web LiveCD-LiveUSB
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dr_web_livecd_liveusb.html

If your Windows or Linux system has been rendered non-bootable by malware, restore it for FREE with Dr.Web LiveCD!

Dr.Web LiveCD will clean your computer of infected and suspicious files, help you copy important information to a removable data storage device or another computer, and then attempt to cure infected objects.

This download is an ISO file which can be burned to CD/DVD.

How does it work?

1: Download the Dr.Web LiveCD image.
2: Burn the image onto a CD/DVD. Users of Nero Burning ROM should proceed as follows:

Insert a blank CD/DVD into your CD/DVD recorder
Click on the 'File' menu and select 'Open'
Browse through folders to the image location and select it
Press the 'Burn' button, and wait while the image is being written to the disk

3: Make sure that the CD/DVD drive or any other device with Dr.Web LiveCD is set as the first-boot device. Adjust corresponding BIOS settings, if necessary.

4: As loading starts, a dialogue window will prompt you to choose between the standard and safe modes.

5: Use arrow keys to select a desired mode and press [Enter]:
If you want to use the scanner with the GUI, choose DrWeb-LiveCD (Default)
If you'd like to start the scanner using the command line (console), select DrWeb-LiveCD (Safe Mode)
Choose Start Local HDD, if you want to boot from the hard drive instead of Dr.Web LiveCD
Select Testing Memory to launch the Memtest86+ utility

6:If DrWeb-LiveCD (Default) is selected, the operating system will detect all available disk drives automatically. It will also try to connect to the local network, if available.

7: When the system is loaded, check the disks or folders you want to scan, and click on 'Start'.

8: If you need extra help, you can contact the Doctor Web Support Team by filling out a Support-Request Form on our web site or sending your request via e-mail

9:The Midnight Commander file manager is used to work with files you need to copy to a safe location

10: If the operating system failed to configure access to your network, you can do it manually using Networks Configure Manager. From the 'Start' menu, go to 'Settings,' and then to 'Networks Configure Manager

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.