cannot enable self protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Vista Ultimate 64bit, 360 TSE version 8.8.0.1042, cannot put a checkmark in the box to enable Self Protection, I have not gone online until I can enable this, have scanned offline nothing found, cannot scan with malwarebytes until I can go online, and have disabled windows defender.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

Reactions: Rengar

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
It seems like a driver's problem, are you using at least Vista SP1?

Working in the Windows kernel means using a driver, that’s why Microsoft implemented a set of API to intercept and eventually filter events and actions on object handles before they are actually executed by the kernel.
ObRegisterCallbacks accepts an input structure pointer that defines what object handles to monitor and which actions on them by giving back a RegistrationHandle, a global object to work with those callbacks.

Reactions: Rengar and frogboy

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
@Rengar: tried two ways, uninstalled ccleaner/reboot/installed ccleaner, did not help
uninstalled 360, reboot, ran ccleaner, reboot, installed 360, reboot, still cannot enable self protection

@WinterSoldier: yes, this is SP2

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
In task manager, when I check show all users, it shows that qh active defense is on? in vista the admin account is disabled so is it running under the admin account and not mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.