Advice Request Can't access any Chinese websites when using a VPN

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
About two weeks ago, I could no longer access any Chinese websites when connected to my VPN (ibVPN). I found that the issue was caused by their DNS servers and I didn't have the issue when not using them. However in the past day or so, I can no longer access Chinese sites, even when not using their DNS server. Everything is fine when I'm disconnected from the VPN.

According to ibVPN it is an issue with Chine recognising VPNs in general and not just limited to them. This does seems to be the case, as I just had the same issue on another computer, after installing Avira's VPN.

However, despite my problems, when I did some quick Google searches, I could not find any posts anywhere about others having the same issue as me.

I am wondering if others using VPN have the same issues (e.g. try visiting xiaomi.cn), or if anyone has any potential solutions.

My VPN provider has set the can setup a new server for me, which will not blocked by China at the moment, as they won't see it as being a VPN as it is a new server. But, I am concerned about the speed of it, as it will be in a foreign country.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It's a fact -China and VPNs. Your new server will probably be blocked after a while. It's their thing with privacy, they won't allow it. There are some VPN providers though that have some special servers that work on China.

Reactions: upnorth and roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
My VPN provider is going to add a new server in my country for me. So I should be able to access Chinese content and have a fast connection. Well, until the server gets blocked anyway.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
ibVPN added a new server last night, which is allowing me to access Chinese websites, even when using their DNS server.

I was receiving absolutely terrible customer support from ibVPN, with there often being a complete lack of communication from them. However, after I left some negative feedback on one of their social media pages, things changed. They messaged me to ask what my issues were and after I explained the situation, one of the founders of ibVPN has been communicating with me and he has been doing his utmost to help me and make sure I'm a happy customer.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@GrabbyBorg I switched to Windscribe three months ago and it's been working fine. Not only can I access Chinese sites, but I've also had no speed issues.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I should add that I was only able to briefly access Chinese websites when using ibVPN. I didn't take long for them to be blocked again and the only solution they offered was to connect to an overseas server, which I didn't want to do as it would cause a drop in speed. This is why I switched to Windscribe. ibVPN gave me a full refund, which was nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
if the VPN provider( the ISP that host your VPN)don't have Peering with Chinese ISPs you can't access any website in China. if some VPN works it's not magic they just exchange traffic with Chinese ISP's(paid to the Chinese government).

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Starting a few days ago, I can no longer access any Chinese websites when using Windscribe. So I need to find a replacement.

Reactions: upnorth and Azure

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've just installed Ivacy. I can access Chinese websites and I'm getting very good download speeds. Another plus is that it supports IKEv2, which I prefer to OpenVPN. With OpenVPN, I see CPU use from it when accessing the internet and I don't with IKE.

They have a 7 day trial, so I'm trying it for free, but I may purchase a lifetime subscription for $39.99.

However, I do realise that in time, I may also not be able to access Chinese websites again. It's worth noting that Windsribe's support has not been very good. It takes time to get a reply and their only suggestion so far has been to connect to a different server. While I don't want to connect to an overseas server as it will reduce my internet speed, it would have been nice if they had told me what server or servers will let me access Chinese websites. But, I've experienced bad customer support with other VPNs too, so I don't want to single out Windscribe.

Reactions: dinosaur07

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm in China now and I'm using ExpressVPN. At times the servers also don't work. But ExpressVPN chat support is immediate, excellent and can resolve the mentioned issue quickly by supplying me a few other servers to connect

4G LTE connection is worse than WiFi

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.