Can't get rid of hacktool:win32/patch malware

HoldenCLF

Thread author
Aug 17, 2016
I installed Avira and scanned system with it, but it didn't detect anything particular.
Should I worry? or there's not any virus in my system?

Reactions: Der.Reisende

David98

Level 1
Aug 15, 2016
Try disabling Windows Defender, and re-scan with Avira. (Full system scan) See if that would work. I used Avira for about 6 years and in my opinion it's one the best anti-virus software out there. I hope you fix your problem soon!

Reactions: Der.Reisende
Upvote 0

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
You can also try Emisoft Emergency Kit (Emsisoft Emergency Kit: Portabler, kostenloser Antivirus und Anti-Malware Scanner | Gratis Entfernung von von Viren, Trojanern, Spyware, Adware, Würmern, Bots, Keyloggern und Rootkits) or Norton Power Eraser (here: Norton Power Eraser | Kostenloses Tool | Mühelos Scamware entfernen, die von herkömmlichen Virenscans nicht erkannt wird.), otherwise, Kaspersky Rescue Disk (here: Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10) is a good option, too.

Sorry for hijacking the thread :)

P.S. Think about adding a free 2nd opinion scanner (for on-demand scanning) to your arsenal, which should work flawlessly next to your real-time antivirus.
Zemana AntiMalware free is a good option: Clean your computer in minutes with Zemana AntiMalware, no matter how badly infected!
EDIT: Here is a last minute offer on the Premium version of it, 400 days: Unlimited Giveaway - Zemana AntiMalware Premium

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
I advice you to try also Trojan Remover from Symply Super Software. ;) That software is very good at removing malware.

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

I installed Avira and scanned system with it, but it didn't detect anything particular.

None of us here on this thread are malware removal experts - and are not qualified to give you any guidance on this matter per MalwareTips terms & policies.

For malware removal assistance, open a thread here and follow the initial instructions carefully (initial instructions, guidelines and policies are pinned at top of thread):

Malware Removal Assistance

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
in any case, you should know it is not rated as a severe threat.
It is a hack that is designed to make one of your programs run without a legal license. Maybe it is a kms activator for windows/office, for instance. You may have installed in knowingly and willingly (no judgment on my part), and it is quite possible that it does nothing bad, other than violate copyright laws.

Upvote 0
W

Wave

Agreed with @hjlbx

in any case, you should know it is not rated as a severe threat.
It is a hack that is designed to make one of your programs run without a legal license.
Not necessarily. Since it's a Hack Tool it means the authors are working within the dark side of development (e.g. cracking software falls under similar categories and is close to malware development), and therefore there could be code within the program which will perform malicious actions - just because it was detected as a hack tool doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any other parts within the program which actually are for malicious purposes (e.g. malicious code hidden somewhere which is only executed depending on environment and system settings).

In fact, it's quite common for a lot of these "hack tools" to really just be malware in disguise, where it drops the payload on the user who was fooled into downloading it, whilst believing they would get something beneficial out of running the program (like a program which is paid working for free). A lot of the time people who are downloading such programs will trust the author (believing it's really going to work) and comments from where the download was found (e.g. YouTube videos, forums, torrent pages), and will even disable any security they have running (e.g. if it was generically detected as a hack tool, they would disable the security and then run it - but since it was a generic detection, it means it wasn't manually analysed and could have other malicious code within it), which IMO is one of the dumbest things ever. (In fact... I bet he found this hack tool on a website like YouTube (UNLESS he did not intentionally download it and it was all an accident or done by another program running) - @HoldenCLF can you confirm?).

In other words, never trust anything like a "hack tool" and it's good practise to stay away from them - not just because they are illegal, but it's not worth the risk in the first place since anyone going near such things are likely to become infected eventually. (even if they may really apparently work).

I advise you to make a thread over at the Malware Removal Assistance area, where a certified Malware Removal Expert (@TwinHeadedEagle for example) will assist you.

After you have finished with malware removal assistance, I recommend you create a security configuration which can be done here - people will assist you with feedback and if you want you can make modifications based on this to help keep your system secure.

In the future I really recommend you stay away from these "hack tools" to help reduce chances of infection,
Stay safe and good luck! ;)

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

Just because something is classified as a Hack Tool doesn't mean that it is actually a hack tool; it could be something else.

Classification of malware is all over the place and incorrect classifications are common enough.

Also, signatures are made for the packer, installer, individual modules, generically for markers, file and registry objects, etc - it's complex, imprecise and each vendor uses its own algorithm(s) - and you can't know which one without a close inspection. Besides, a malware can download and execute additional malicious files that remain undetected.

Advice here, while well-intended, is not the way to handle these situations. Everyone who is not a malware removal expert should be pointing users to the Malware Removal Assistance sub-forum.

Get malware removal assistance per MalwareTips policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wave
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.