Solved Can't install Hitman pro kickstart to USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
I'm trying to install Hitman pro Kickstart on to a USB stick. When the download completes and it tries to install kickstart, I get this error message:

An error occurred while creating the hitman pro kickstart USB flash drive.
#5, lock.

I tried three different USB drives on an XP, and a win 7 computer and they all failed. I'm thinking the file is corrupted in some way. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Are you making a USB to just have in case of an infection or do you think you might have one ? I believe you cannot make one on an infected PC.

Usually this error message #5 lock is due to another program that is preventing access by HitmanPro to the USB stick

Maybe try turning off another Security program or see what other program might have access to your Usb drive.Once HitmanPro has sole access to the USB it can format it and write the bootloader and program files on it.

You could also ask here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236732

Or try HitmanPro Support here http://www.surfright.nl/en/support/

Upvote 0

Acenyc

Thread author
Jun 30, 2012
Yes, both computers are at my job and have symantec running. I'll disable the win 7 machine and try again on Monday.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Here is what Edwin Engels from Surfright had to say:

Edwin Engels from Surfright said:
Regarding the problem with the error message “#5, lock”:
This message is shown whenever another process is holding a lock on the USB flash drive. Most times this is because there is a window open which shows the contents of the flash drive. Sometimes Windows is configured to show the contents of a flash drive whenever a new one is inserted into the PC. These windows must be closed before the flash drive can be written. Also the failure can occur because of another AV program, inspecting the contents of the flash drive. In that case, waiting a few seconds and then trying to write again will succeed most of the times.

Reactions: Koroke San
Upvote 0

anorris

Feb 12, 2013
Jack said:
Here is what Edwin Engels from Surfright had to say:

Edwin Engels from Surfright said:
Regarding the problem with the error message “#5, lock”:
This message is shown whenever another process is holding a lock on the USB flash drive. Most times this is because there is a window open which shows the contents of the flash drive. Sometimes Windows is configured to show the contents of a flash drive whenever a new one is inserted into the PC. These windows must be closed before the flash drive can be written. Also the failure can occur because of another AV program, inspecting the contents of the flash drive. In that case, waiting a few seconds and then trying to write again will succeed most of the times.

This was an elegant observation. Elegant because it seems simple, but the underlying logic of it shows a more sophisticated understanding of the way everything is connected. I'm sure he doesn't need flattery. Just sayin'.

Also just sayin' that I was in the same situation and it worked for me. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

whoknows4077

May 4, 2013
Also I just figured out you have to wait till it asks you to put in the usb drive. it can not be in until it asks for it.
That fixed it for me.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Make sure the USB isn't provide any errors or damage, + clean to avoid troubles.

Most sensitive cases when the explorer for the USB is open or certain application.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.