Solved Can't move vip.fortunatepeople.xyz malware

Infected operating system
Mac OS 10.15.1
Infected device issues
Recently this scam ad popped up every time I browsed douban.com (a website I frequently visit) in different browsers I use. I tried malware cleaners, tried to run terminal to restore default settings, checked all the browser settings, checked Mac system profiles, none of these works. This is very weird since it only pops up when I open douban.com. Any suggestions? I searched online for this xfinity scam but found no clues.
Browsers affected by infection
  1. Safari
  2. Chrome

swsh

Thread author
Jan 12, 2020
1578878489164.png

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
This is a pop-up ad that that website is showing to you. Don't take that survey because most of it's times a just scam.

Let's install an adblocker to your browser and see if we can stop this and other ads. Please install the AdGuard extension:

1. Download the extension from the App Store and run it
  2. Click "Open preferences" in the dialogue box
Install.jpg

1. In the opened Safari Preferences check the boxes "AdGuard Safari Icon" and "AdGuard".
  2. Make sure the AdGuard icon is green when visiting that site. There shouldn't be ads on the site you visit, including the one you're reported.
More details here: AdGuard Safari extension

Reactions: cranowl

swsh

Thread author
Jan 12, 2020
Hello,
This is a pop-up ad that that website is showing to you. Don't take that survey because most of it's times a just scam.

Let's install an adblocker to your browser and see if we can stop this and other ads. Please install the AdGuard extension:

Install.jpg

1. In the opened Safari Preferences check the boxes "AdGuard Safari Icon" and "AdGuard".
  2. Make sure the AdGuard icon is green when visiting that site. There shouldn't be ads on the site you visit, including the one you're reported.

Thanks I downloaded it. Currently the ad does not pop up. Hope it works!

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Jack

swsh

Thread author
Jan 12, 2020
Hello,

Install.jpg

This is not working...after an hour the ad popped again! I made sure the Ad Guard icon was enabled. Is this some kind of virus?

cranowl

Jan 13, 2020
Have the same issue! I figured that it only happens when I'm browsing specific movie pages on movie.douban. Mine is spectrum scam.
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 11.04.33 AM.png

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Have the same issue! I figured that it only happens when I'm browsing specific movie pages on movie.douban. Mine is spectrum scam.View attachment 232110
Install AdGuard and this should go away.

Ok I added adguard for both safari and chrome. It worked!
Yes, it works. Sometimes in Safari, these adblocking extensions get disabled and won't block ads, just make sure the AdGuard icon it's green and you should be fine. I also recommend that you guys install Malwarebytes Free. It's an on-demand scanner that you can use to regularly check your computer for malware.

Reactions: cranowl

cranowl

Jan 13, 2020
Install AdGuard and this should go away.

Yes, it works. Sometimes in Safari, these adblocking extensions get disabled and won't block ads, just make sure the AdGuard icon it's green and you should be fine. I also recommend that you guys install Malwarebytes Free. It's an on-demand scanner that you can use to regularly check your computer for malware.
Thank you so much!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.