CCleaner confirms data breach via MOVEit attack

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you read my post? The reason I wanna change, is because Ccleaner still have problems with malware. Another possibility is it’s a FP. But Eset do pretty good regarding FPs so I trust Eset in this case. 👍
No, I wasn't replying to you. I was asking another How is Privazer better than other Cleaners, but received no explanation, because there isn't any reason.

In any case, CCleaner is generally malware-free.

A FP doesn't mean a malware problem, it's a AV problem.

The Slim and Portable are the best builds for zero Adware.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
My university was even affected by it, but I only got a notification that my email was harvested, not the password.
Indeed, I am tired of reading about data leaks, what data leaks? Unless a credit card details got leaked, they got an email or the password at most, nothing serious.
I shared my email for a decade on shady sites, not knowing any better and I get zero spam. So really, what is the issue here? Though it makes great news articles.
“During continued due diligence, we found some of our customers’ personal information, such as name, email address and phone number, was also impacted,” the company said.
Why would you share a phone number when buying CCleaner? Even tech support is done online, so this is on users and Avast of course, for harvesting more than they need.
Paypal alone is a great option, your card details are safe and even if they would steal your login/password, they can not really abuse it without 2FA, not to mention refunds.

capture_11032023_151052.jpg

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
No, I wasn't replying to you. I was asking another How is Privazer better than other Cleaners, but received no explanation, because there isn't any reason.

In any case, CCleaner is generally malware-free.

A FP doesn't mean a malware problem, it's a AV problem.

The Slim and Portable are the best builds for zero Adware.
I have reached the conclusion, that it's because Ccleaner try to sneak Avast in with out permission. A PUP or PUA. I couldn't find any log, just a notice that Eset had removed one thingy. But no hard feelings about it. I do know about the "slim" and "lite" after having read up on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorrento

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I received an email from CCleaner a week or so ago informing me they had found some info of mine on the dark web - They offered me a six month licence to BreachGurard, fair enough I though - They must have forgotten :rolleyes: to tell me it was because they themselves were breached - Bit like informing someone their house is on fire & offering to help while failing to tell them it was you who started the fire - If this info is right it's despicable on CCleaners part?

• Wow
  • HaHa
Reactions: Oldie1950 and Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.