BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Just noticed these builds.

What's the slim build? It says no toolbar, but I don't know what toolbar is installed with the standard version to begin with.
Standard version tries to install Google Chrome with a Google toolbar for Internet Explorer if it detects that Chrome is not installed on the system. If it detects that Chrome is installed on the system, then it suggests installing Avast AV if Avast isn't currently installed.
Slim version doesn't have those.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Standard version tries to install Google Chrome with a Google toolbar for Internet Explorer if it detects that Chrome is not installed on the system. If it detects that Chrome is installed on the system, then it suggests installing Avast AV if Avast isn't currently installed.
Slim version doesn't have those.
Oh okay, I thought it was a slimmed down version of the software itself. I always uncheck those anyway. I miss lightweight software.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Downloaded and installed the latest version.Then I disabled the Monitoring option but the CC system tray icon still remains active. Even when I restart the program. 2. Privacy options are gone.

Go to settings and untick Show Ccleaner in the Windows notification area. Ccleaner icon will be removed from the system tray.

Screenshot (16)_LI.jpg

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Go to settings and untick Show Ccleaner in the Windows notification area. Ccleaner icon will be removed from the system tray.

CCleaner is still running in the background. Task manager confirms it. What have they done with this version...

- CCleaner running in the background.
- You can't right click on CCleaner in the system tray to exit.
- No privacy option. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
CCleaner is still running in the background. Task manager confirms it. What have they done with this version...

- CCleaner running in the background.
- You can't right click on CCleaner in the system tray to exit.
- No privacy option. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Okay, I can confirm that it re-enables Skip UAC warning and active monitoring after each restart unless you disable it from startup from both task manager and within CCleaner itself and also disable Skip UAC warning and active monitoring. At this point, it behaves more like a malicious program so disappointed.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I believe you won't have any problems like that if you just use the portable version:
CCleaner 5.45
“Improved”, “Fixed”
CCleaner now sends a heartbeat every 12 hours which reports up-to-date usage statistics to allow for faster delivery of bug fixes and product improvements
AFAIK this is only the installed version not the portable version. I watched the portable with Wireshark and it never attempted an network/internet connection.
Download (I use the portable version)
Tuesday Random Stuff... - TweakHound

I personally use the portable (professional) version.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
What is the difference between standard and portable version? I'm only adding cookies to exclusions, I don't use any other functions besides cleaning. Will the portable version do the work for me? Any cons with portable?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
What is the difference between standard and portable version? I'm only adding cookies to exclusions, I don't use any other functions besides cleaning. Will the portable version do the work for me? Any cons with portable?
I believe there are no cons. Like with all portable programs there are no startmenu shortcuts created because you don't install it.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I have always used ccleaner to remove browsing history/cookies, nowadays i just use browser that does this job in-exit

After avast bought them, ccleaner has gone downhill i just dont like all that bloat wich comes with it, ads etc, have to manually remove it from task manager and so on

After latest update, they dont have privacy option on/off so im just gonna uninstall whole software for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.