XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
ESET is always detecting CCleaner, the installer, as having a Google Toolbar (PUA).
I just disregard this since I know that CCleaner is safe. I don't even see any Google Toolbar installed.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Can you report it at samples@eset.com ?
Oh, I thought it is normal for ESET to detect the installer of CCleaner. ESET should have known CCleaner because CCleaner is very popular and that there are many ESET users who also use CCleaner.

I will contact them.

Reactions: Malware1

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Oh, I thought it is normal for ESET to detect the installer of CCleaner. ESET should have known CCleaner because CCleaner is very popular and that there are many ESET users who also use CCleaner.

I will contact them.
I don't know what Ccleaner is doing now as I have an older safe version. When I did update it a few moths ago it installed Conduit Search on my PC. It was a really nasty piece of malware IMO. I could not remove it so I had to reinstall everything.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I don't know what Ccleaner is doing now as I have an older safe version. When I did update it a few moths ago it installed Conduit Search on my PC. It was a really nasty piece of malware IMO. I could not remove it so I had to reinstall everything.
I will scan with HMP to see if CCleaner installed something other than itself.

Reactions: marg

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Hitman Pro didn't find any PUPs/PUAs. So, CCleaner should be totally safe.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ESET is always detecting CCleaner, the installer, as having a Google Toolbar (PUA).
I just disregard this since I know that CCleaner is safe. I don't even see any Google Toolbar installed.

Did you download the Standard or Slim installer?

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
If you downloaded it from Cnet, Softonic, or Brothersoft, you might get some free malware attached to your program. Conduit is actually quite easy to remove, just run some scans with HMP and MBAM and you will remove it fully. Or uninstall using Revo or IObit Forced Uninstall and check for registry keys left over. Done!

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Did you download the Standard or Slim installer?
Yes, I downloaded the Standard version, the free one. I always download on the main site.
This is not the first time ESET detects CCleaner installer. Whenever I run the installer (previous and latest), ESET displays a warning that the file has a PUA.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 8.1 Update 64-bit - Chrome Canary 38.x 64-bit

CCleaner64.exe > Tools > Startup > Google Chrome > No Extensions are listed for Google Chrome.

upload_2014-6-25_16-20-52.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, I downloaded the Standard version, the free one. I always download on the main site.
This is not the first time ESET detects CCleaner installer. Whenever I run the installer (previous and latest), ESET displays a warning that the file has a PUA.

That's your issue right there. In the future, download the Slim build installer which contains no bundled software.

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
That's your issue right there. In the future, download the Slim build installer which contains no bundled software.
What is the Slim build? Where can I get it?
But Hitman Pro didn't detect any PUPs after I installed CCleaner.

Edit: found the Slim build version...

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Standard: Includes CCleaner with bundled PUP.
Slim: Includes CCleaner only (no toolbar).

Scroll down to Builds, below the Changelog at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

upload_2014-6-25_16-32-1.png

Or visit http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

It may take a few hours or days before the Slim build appears. Alternatively, I download the Portable version and replace the CCleaner64.exe executable file only, whilst keeping the original settings for the .INI file.

Reactions: Rus Anca and XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Thank you, Huracan! I'll definitely choose the Slim build in the future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.