Advice Request CCleaner's "Safer Browsing" - Is False?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
CCleaner Pro has Automatic Privacy Protection which runs after the user has closed their browser, so cookies, cache and history are removed without user interaction. Not a problem, because CCleaner Free requires user intervention.
upload_2017-3-7_22-44-48.png

However, I believe the next quote from their website is potentially incorrect advertisement to their users. More-so for the Pro version, as paying customers usually think they're getting more protection.
CCleaner said:
Safer Browsing
Advertisers and websites track your behavior online with cookies that stay on your computer. CCleaner erases your browser search history and cookies so any internet browsing you do stays confidential and your identity remains anonymous.

In my opinion, Safer Browsing entails that CCleaner is in real-time protecting the user's browser, which is clearly not the case for both Free and Pro users.

I believe Piriform can do more, by developing a browser extension for Chrome, Safari and Firefox (and Edge - almost forgot!) to prevent advertisers and tracking beacons from ever being allowed to sit on our computers.

Otherwise they should remove "Safer Browsing" from their site.
upload_2017-3-7_22-45-44.png

What are your thoughts? Should Piriform develop a "CCleaner for Chrome/Firefox/Safari/Edge" to STOP web trackers, beacons and cookies from sitting on your computer, to allow Safer Browsing sessions?
Free to disagree.

Note: (I do use CCleaner on my computer and have for many years).

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
That's very misleading. What they've said is true to a tiny extent, but for the most part cleaning browser history and cookies does not make your internet browsing confidential or make your identity on the internet anonymous.
They should definitely clarify what they mean by that; it's as misleading as saying installing a x antivirus will protect your computer from everything bad.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It's not the first time they have made misleading claims. When the paid version of CCleaner was first released, which was called CCleaner Home at the time, they said it was the "most popular option," something I'm the sure the millions of free users would have disagreed with.

In any case, I haven't used CClenaer for years, as I have no need for it.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
"Safer browsing" in comparison to what? Is it safer than NOT having your browser history and cookies erased? Yes it is safer.

Is it safer than having real time protection? Then logic says No it is not safer.

The fact that they stated they clear HISTORY and Cookies (not something in the moment or real time) meant that I (as a long time user of the Pro version) was NOT mislead into believing the feature were anything else than what they are saying "Safer Browsing".

If they were trying to claim "Safest" or "Real time" then I would have felt that they were being misleading. I hope that makes sense.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
How specifically is their marketing shady? Do you believe the OP is saying their marketing is shady?
Look for example at Recuva: Recuva - Free Download - Piriform
Free: No Support
Professional: Recover accidentally deleted files and images!

You can do absolutely the same with free version, there is no difference in terms of recovery between free and pro. Yet they claim it.

I don't belive OP is saying their marketing is shady.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
Look for example at Recuva: Recuva - Free Download - Piriform
Free: No Support
Professional: Recover accidentally deleted files and images!

You can do absolutely the same with free version, there is no difference in terms of recovery between free and pro. Yet they claim it.

I don't belive OP is saying their marketing is shady.

Thank you for the clarification.

That's interesting. I bought the Professional Plus version of CCleaner which includes their other products like Recuva for their support and for me to support a company that had provided a free product for me, my team, and family from as far back as 2004. I also gave them PayPal donations (which I doubt they could possibly survive on).

Can I assume that you are NOT using any of their products because you don't want to support a company whose "marketing is shady"?

Reactions: Rengar and RXZ6Q

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Thank you for the clarification.

That's interesting. I bought the Professional Plus version of CCleaner which includes their other products like Recuva for their support and for me to support a company that had provided a free product for me, my team, and family from as far back as 2004. I also gave them PayPal donations (which I doubt they could possibly survive on).

Can I assume that you are NOT using any of their products because you don't want to support a company whose "marketing is shady"?
I used to use CCleaner and Recuva sometimes. But now I switched. From CCleaner to built-in windows tool and from Recuva to paid software, so now I am Piriform-free :D It's more about what suits me more than about I don't want to support them. Their marketing is weird, but it's not that terrible. To be fair, I am using iobit uninstaller, too. And their marketing? Lol.

Reactions: Rengar and reboot

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
I used to use CCleaner and Recuva sometimes. But now I switched. From CCleaner to built-in windows tool and from Recuva to paid software, so now I am Piriform-free :D It's more about what suits me more than about I don't want to support them. Their marketing is weird, but it's not that terrible. To be fair, I am using iobit uninstaller, too. And their marketing? Lol.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate and respect your opinion. I hear you with regards to iobit. :D

Reactions: Rengar and RXZ6Q
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.