Cerber ransomware can now detect virtual machines to prevent analysis

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
One of the most infamous strains of ransomware has evolved, gaining the ability to prevent detection from cybersecurity tools, making it much harder for the malicious software to be analyzed.

The Cerber ransomware was discovered in early 2016. Aside from the typical behavior of encrypting victims' files, the malware also packs a .vbs file, which speaks out its ransom note to further scare those that have been infected.

Furthermore, using a set of assigned Command & Control (C&C) servers, the cybercriminals behind the ransomware have made it possible for almost anyone to distribute Cerber. They earn if they are successful in infecting their victims, with the developer getting 40% of the profit, and the affiliate getting 60%.

Hope someone finds a way to get around the analysis issues.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Of course but not everyone has a second pc :)

That's true unfortunately. But they are not smarter than us, i believe we can defeat this, even though it might take more time to perform an analysis cycle.
For those with PCs, I'm thinking having a second hard drive for this. But this idea, for those with laptops... things might get really annoying...

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Considering that it (deep freeze) uses drivers, anything possible. Great question though!

And Deep Freeze has been among us for a very long time, they might have some sorts of detection for this as well. Maybe the other guys from here can answer, i really can't think of a better place to ask :)

Reactions: DardiM and ZeroDay

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
And Deep Freeze has been among us for a very long time, they might have some sorts of detection for this as well. Maybe the other guys from here can answer, i really can't think of a better place to ask :)
Indeed, if I recall correctly they been around since the windows 3.1/95 days. Heck I even remember an anti deep freeze software that would disable the thing when you forgot the password

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I remember the time when Deep Freeze was used in cybercafes and schools. Mine did use it. It was a pain in the ass occasionally, we did not have UPSs, and you can imagine the frustration of rewriting everything from the beginning after a power outage.

Reactions: DardiM and ZeroDay

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I've not played with deep freeze, but I routinely use SHadoe Protect. I've considered running Shadowed all the time. Would completely eliminate the need for any anti ransomware software. I ran Goldeneye and a Cerber sample against ShadowDefender. Goldeneye forced a reboot and the system was fine.

When I did a test for a well known vendor against ransomware, I did it on real hardware. All three disks were shadowed, and I let the ransware encrypt everything. Exiting shadow mode and rebooting and I had a clean system.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Many malware check if they run virtualized or under a debugger, and they act as a result, to make more complex the dynamic analysis, or to deceive the analyst by imitating a non-malicious code, when parsed, and therefore not useful for the analysis.
In our case, it is necessary to understand which functions Cerber uses to detect the VM and if it detects just the VM, or even light virtualization environments such as Shadow Defender.

One clarification, some of the malware just go into sleep mode in the VM, but others look for flaws in the virtualization software/hypervisors, but they are quite rare and it is rare that they are being exploited.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.