At-Risk Cerberus' Security Configuration 2018

Thread author
I would suggest adding malwarebytes and emsisoft emergency kit as on demand scanners and backing up data through software like Macrium Reflect, acronis etc., or manual backups
Isn't HitmanPro sufficient enough for an on-demand scanner? I don't need backups as all my important files are in the cloud and I fully reset my laptop every month or so.
Nice config.
You can also store your important files to an external HDD or USB manually, that's what i do.
This manual back up has saved many times.
Thanks for sharing your config
Thanks for the recommendation, but I'd rather keep my files in the cloud. Cloud with 2FA seems more secure than a USB/external HDD.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the recommendation, but I'd rather keep my files in the cloud. Cloud with 2FA seems more secure than a USB/external HDD.
I see what you mean but i am suggesting that in the case that you won't have an internet connection and you will be needing those files.
As for security you can always encrypt the external HDD/USB;)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
I fully reset my laptop every month or so.
What do you do on your PC to have a need doing it so frequently? :eek: You could do all your stuff (whatever it is) in Virtual Machine (VMware, VirtualBox) to keep your host machine intact, or try using a Shadow Defender wich resets changes made to PC upon restart. :rolleyes:

Thread author
I see what you mean but i am suggesting that in the case that you won't have an internet connection and you will be needing those files.
As for security you can always encrypt the external HDD/USB;)
Didn't think of that! Thanks again.
What do you do on your PC to have a need doing it so frequently? :eek: You could do all your stuff (whatever it is) in Virtual Machine (VMware, VirtualBox) to keep your host machine intact, or try using a Shadow Defender wich resets changes made to PC upon restart. :rolleyes:
Nothing to illegal... :X3:
Jokes aside, I completely reset my laptop because of combination of me wanting to have a fresh start and doing it just for fun. Thanks for the recommendations though.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello @Cerberus !

Thanks for sharing your security configuration with us @Cerberus !

Like others I'd highly recommend that you implement or use the following to backup programs to ensure that you can overcome any problems with your system:

1) Macrium Reflect V7 (latest version) free: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

2) AOMEI Backupper Standard (latest version) free: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Please keep your backups of your computer on an external thumb drive or HDD so that it doesn't get infected. Do NOT keep it hooked up to your computer all the time nor to your network.

While Windows Defender has improved over the years I still do not have much trust with this AV. Personally, I’d highly recommend using Avast Free AntiVirus as it ranks one of the best free antivirus suites out there for Windows Home users. However, do not take my word for it you can read more here:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Another good free antivirus that ranks pretty high is Kaspersky, but some are hesitant on using this software due to it being “Russian”. Comodo Free, Avira, and Bitdefender are other great examples of good free antivirus solutions.

I’d like for you to increase your on demand scanners from what you are currently using. While I’m happy you are using HitmanPro I would like for you to look into these on demand scanners too:

1) Norton Power Eraser Link: Norton Rescue Tools

2) Emsisoft EEK: Emsisoft | Free Download: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

3) AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes: AdwCleaner

I would like to recommend a great antimalware program for your computer that you may be able to find a key for the PRO version which is
1) Zemana Antimalware Free (may be able to find a key for PRO here at MT): Zemana Anti-Malware | Advanced Malware Removal Software

I would like to know which web browser you are using. However, if you’re using Google Chrome or Firefox you can use these add-ons to increase the security of your machine:

1) HTTPS Everywhere

2) NoScript

3) uBlock Origin

Because you are using Windscribe I’d highly recommend that you turn on all of these settings in the web app:
upload_2018-1-13_15-14-40.png

Make sure to use the Windows client in conjunction with the web client to have the best features at your fingertips – double hop too!

Please make sure that your UAC is set to MAX settings as this can help security.

Also, please tell us which version of Windows 10 you are running. Having the latest updates or latest build can increase security (thought I mention this).

Thanks again for sharing your configuration with MT! Let me know if you have questions.

Sincerely,

Brian

Thread author
I recommend a backup program like Macriun Reflect free or AOMEI Backupper free.
It's also interesting. HTTPS Everywhere
Kit Emsisoft and zemana -
Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks for the recommendations, but I'll pass on the backup solutions as I've stated they're unnecessary in my setup.
Hello @Cerberus !

Thanks for sharing your security configuration with us @Cerberus !

Like others I'd highly recommend that you implement or use the following to backup programs to ensure that you can overcome any problems with your system:

1) Macrium Reflect V7 (latest version) free: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

2) AOMEI Backupper Standard (latest version) free: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Please keep your backups of your computer on an external thumb drive or HDD so that it doesn't get infected. Do NOT keep it hooked up to your computer all the time nor to your network.

While Windows Defender has improved over the years I still do not have much trust with this AV. Personally, I’d highly recommend using Avast Free AntiVirus as it ranks one of the best free antivirus suites out there for Windows Home users. However, do not take my word for it you can read more here:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Another good free antivirus that ranks pretty high is Kaspersky, but some are hesitant on using this software due to it being “Russian”. Comodo Free, Avira, and Bitdefender are other great examples of good free antivirus solutions.

I’d like for you to increase your on demand scanners from what you are currently using. While I’m happy you are using HitmanPro I would like for you to look into these on demand scanners too:

1) Norton Power Eraser Link: Norton Rescue Tools

2) Emsisoft EEK: Emsisoft | Free Download: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

3) AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes: AdwCleaner

I would like to recommend a great antimalware program for your computer that you may be able to find a key for the PRO version which is
1) Zemana Antimalware Free (may be able to find a key for PRO here at MT): Zemana Anti-Malware | Advanced Malware Removal Software

I would like to know which web browser you are using. However, if you’re using Google Chrome or Firefox you can use these add-ons to increase the security of your machine:

1) HTTPS Everywhere

2) NoScript

3) uBlock Origin

Because you are using Windscribe I’d highly recommend that you turn on all of these settings in the web app:

Make sure to use the Windows client in conjunction with the web client to have the best features at your fingertips – double hop too!

Please make sure that your UAC is set to MAX settings as this can help security.

Also, please tell us which version of Windows 10 you are running. Having the latest updates or latest build can increase security (thought I mention this).

Thanks again for sharing your configuration with MT! Let me know if you have questions.

Sincerely,

Brian
Wow. Thanks for all this information! I plan on backing up important files onto a flash drive over the next few weeks. I will also look into the software recommendations too! Thanks again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.