Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Bitwarden is great, but for the same price ($1/user) my family went for 1Password which offer better form filling capabilities and iOS support. We also made use of their 1 year free promo. Anyway, I would not subscribe to their personal plan for it is too expensive for me.

I will be using the free plan of Bitwarden, it is enough for me and I am digging it.

Bitwarden has completed a thorough security assessment and penetration test by auditing firm Insight Risk Consulting and it is a open source solution, so it seems to be very good for security.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I will be using the free plan of Bitwarden, it is enough for me and I am digging it.

Bitwarden has completed a thorough security assessment and penetration test by auditing firm Insight Risk Consulting and it is a open source solution, so it seems to be very good for security.
I would have gone to Bitwarden, but their family sharing wasn’t as seamless as 1Password. I think Bitwarden is the best free option going.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
That’s frustrating. 1Password is great and it sounds like you have a good solution with Sticky Password as well.
Yes 1Password is great especially on iOS. The 1Password X extension is superior and fast and reliable.
Regarding Sticky Password, their desktop programme works great and the portable (USB version) is still maintained. Their honour lifetime licenses and this is a plus. Eset and Kaspersky partnered with Sticky Password and I believe this is an indication of how secure SP is. Eset Premium version includes their rebrand of SP but Kaspersky developed their own (not sure if they made use of SP technology though).

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019

Yes the free version is enough for most people. Being open source is good too. Regarding security assessment, their latest security assessment report is nonsense. They only highlighted some point but never published the full report. I do not know why.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I would have gone to Bitwarden, but their family sharing wasn’t as seamless as 1Password. I think Bitwarden is the best free option going.
If you can afford 1Password Family subscription, then stick to it. It is very reliable and their support is great. You might try SP, but they do not offer family subscription m, but I bileve you can contact them to see if they can offer lifetime license for multiple devices for a discount.

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
Knew it'll gonna happen one day after Lastpass was sold to LogMeIn and then to private equity. Bought Sticky Password lifetime license in 2016 at $25 but wasn't using it for three reasons: 1) Lethargy to switch when it was working fine still, 2) probably then there was no option to export password from Lastpass to Sticky Password, 3) Lack of Linux support. I was even tried to switch to Bitwarden since last year but the same issue with lethargy became the barrier :cautious:, also wasn't aware that time that export/import was even possible. Finally, after this news broke yesterday I exported all the passwords & notes from Lastpass to Sticky Password, and have uninstalled Lastpass from the browser. Hopefully now I will be able to force myself to use it. If not Sticky Password then I shall definitely try to do the same with Bitwarden.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Just a heads up, users of McAfee Internet Security can use the premium version of True Key with no extra charge.
I already got a 12 month licence for Internet Security a month ago for 12 euros from SerialKart so this makes the purchase an even better deal.

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
For anyone wondering about what to switch to, I've been trying out all the "popular" options, both as a technical user (myself) and a user who wants seamless, easy experience (my wife).

1Password. This is pretty much the de-facto best right now. Works great, great tech support, works well on iOS and Android, as well as MacOS and windows. No comments on Linux, sorry. It's also expensive, but you can get deals going. Right now you can get a family plan for $30 for the first year with an additional 25% cash back through Rakuten. After that you either change your username and look for another deal, or pay $60/year.

Bitwarden - Fantastic, and 99% of the userbase doesn't even need to spend the $10. HOWEVER, if you can swing it, do it to support the dev. He deserves it. Working great on iOS/Android and Windows. I've been told it works great on MacOS as well, since it's a browser plugin. To me this works as well as 1Password, but the UI needs an overhaul to get the non-techie family members involved.

Sticky Password - Oh man, did this one almost sucker me in. It looks pretty nice (important for the wife) and seemed to work really well. Until I tried sharing a password with my wife (as we tend to do). It emails it in plain text. #####. No. NEXT PLEASE.

Dashlane - The former champ is basically falling apart. Ever since they got rid of their install-able program to focus on browser plugins, users have been leaving in droves. It looks nice, it works fairly nice, but it's BY FAR the most expensive option out there, and you get a lot of bugs for that high price. You can scam them for 6 months free per "referral", but at this point I don't even think it's worth it.

And finally - LastPass. Over the past few years, Lastpass has been awful on Android, and that's my main beef here. It barely works now. iOS works fine, Windows works fine, Android is an absolute mess. As someone who carries an iPhone and Android phone simultaneously, this is a dealbreaker. I used to pay for Lastpass when it was $12/year, and then when it was $24/year. It's not about the price. it's the fact that it doesn't work as well as FREE options out there. (like Bitwarden). ALMOST everything LastPass does, Bitwarden (or 1Password) does better. The only thing I like better about Lastpass is that it offers to save EVERY new username/password detected, not just on new sites.

So yeah, that's my experience, for what it's worth. I might also try out F-Secure's ID Protection (formerly Key) since it's now included in their SAFE Beta, and they give you 5 licenses for family members. I also trust F-Secure, while I don't trust Avast/AVG/Kaspersky/Norton/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.