Advice Request Cheap build for gtx1080

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Hi guys! My good buddy asked me to help him build a PC given that he has an unused NVIDIA GTX 1080. The purpose to play simple network games such as World of Tanks, Mordhau, various network shooters ... Maybe to run some new games, of course, considering the possibilities of the 1080.

We tried selecting components from a local online store and we ended up with a PC like this:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz AM4 - Tray
- Arctic Freezer 7 X CO CPU Cooler
- Asus Prime B550M-A AM4, AMD B550, DDR4
- Kingston FURY BEAST 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL17
- Transcend SSD225S TS500GSSD225S 500GB SSD SATA 3
- Antec CUPRUM STRIKE CSK 650W 80 Plus Bronze
- Edimax Wireless nLite WiFi 4 Nano-Size USB Adapter 150 Mbps EW-7811UN V2

It's about $680, which is fine for my friend.

Do you think everything is compatible here? Is it a normal processor? Will this power supply be enough for this build? Will a SSD with SATA3 be good enough for a casual gamer's basic needs? In the long run, would this build be good for replacing a 1080 with something like a 3060?
Thanks a lot for the help!

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
What case do you have in mind? Do you want a micro ATX board? The one you listed is for tiny form-factor cases, is that what you want? Otherwise, you can look at the Prime B550 Plus which is actually a tiny bit cheaper.

It has two M.2 slots but nvm-e drives are generally a bit more expensive. However, if you're willing to consider an nvm-e, you have many choices, budget incl.

Instead of Transcend, I would consider the Samsung 870 EVO SATA ssd but this is about 30 US dollars more, depending on where you shop.

I would consider a power supply from tiers b and/or c which supposedly have decent quality but for more budget-minded builds. The reason for this is primarily that I cannot find the model "Cuprum Strike" at any major vendor but this is in the US, mind you. You want to have something rated well esp. since you're supposedly going to upgrade the gpu at a later time. Like many others, Antec makes really nice ones and crappy ones too.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
To be honest it's cheap build of 2 generations ago hardware. That setup will last a year maybe two max, where you should plan for 5 years until you need to upgrade. If you spend a few hundreds more (if you can afford it?) you could get a 5000X AMD CPU, 32GB of DDR4, a better PSU and a better SSD. That will last at least 3, more likely 4/5 years. Thing is a 1080GTX will probably play new games on low (maybe medium) for another 1 to 2 years then it's pretty much a much-needed upgrade.

When buying a new PC/Laptop I always look for a setup that will last 5 years minimum. Your just wasting time and money buying previous gen hardware. I know everyone has a budget and money is tight, but you really save money by buying current gen. If you can't afford, I would save up another month or two until your there.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Its an all around decent build. I agree with @plat and @Zero Knowledge. If you can get an nvme drive that would be better. The Samsung suggested is a good option. Western digital nvme's are good as well IMO.

The AMD 3600 is good, but is starting to show its age. It will still do well, but if you can get something in the 5000 series it will last him a bit longer before he needs to seriously consider upgrading again. The nice thing about the AM4 is its upgrade path...even if you stick with the 3600 now, he can upgrade it to something like a 5800x3d later.

As to the PSU, it should work...but I guess the question is, does your friend plan to upgrade his GPU at some point in the future? If so, it may be worth specing a higher wattage psu (750 - 850 max). While the 650 watt would handle his GPU now, it may not in the future, especially with the way things are going with newer GPUs. The guide @plat posted is a good read for PSUs. You should never build a computer based on future proofing, but if I had to "future proof" somewhere, it would be the PSU, as you can reuse it in a future build/upgrade.

If its in his budget you may be able to buy a mothetboard with wifi built in, saving you from buying a separate usb wifi adapter

Overall, it looks good, maybe a tweak here, or there with spending ever so slightly more in some areas (if he can afford it) can make him a system that will last atleast 5 years+ before having to consider upgrading again. Keep an eye on sales too, especially with prev gen stuff like cpus and motherboards, you can get some good deals that may make it more feasible to go up a level in parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Thanks a lot for the recommendations! In the end, I advised him to take the Ryzen 5600G to look a little fresher. I'm waiting for him to order it all to help with the assembly and configuration. :)
Funny, but I couldn't find in Israel from major retail chains AM4 motherboard without a downsized format, so I had to chose a micro ATX anyway.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I advised him to take the Ryzen 5600G to look a little fresher.
Wise choice. When upgrading or doing a new build always buy the best you can afford. It saves you money down the road.

Funny, but I couldn't find in Israel from major retail chains AM4 motherboard without a downsized format

Weird I would have thought Israel would have lots of tech shops and options to buy hardware. It just looks like an advanced economy from a distance.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! In the end, I advised him to take the Ryzen 5600G to look a little fresher.
That's a solid choice!

It's a very good cpu that will last him for a good amount of time. What's also nice about that cpu is the fact it has an iGPU, something only up until recently AMD only had on select CPUs. While he won't be using it because he has a dedicated GPU, it's still a nice to have...especially for troubleshooting purposes.

I don't know what it is, but I always feel like a kid on Christmas when I am purchasing new parts and building a computer. To me it's more exciting/fun than actually using the computer.:LOL:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I don't know what it is, but I always feel like a kid on Christmas when I am purchasing new parts and building a computer. To me it's more exciting/fun than actually using the computer.:LOL:
Me too.
I am most excited when I am choosing the parts and when they arrive. I think the best way to get good results is to set conditions on the budget and what you want to spend.:)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello there! Your friend's PC build plan looks good overall, and all the components are compatible.

Regarding the processor choice, the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is a great choice for a mid-range PC build, and it offers excellent performance for gaming and productivity tasks.

The Antec CUPRUM STRIKE CSK 650W 80 Plus Bronze is a good power supply, and it should be sufficient for this build. However, if your friend plans to upgrade the graphics card to a more power-hungry one in the future, then he may want to consider getting a higher wattage PSU.

As for the SATA3 SSD, it should be more than enough for casual gaming, and it offers a good balance between performance and affordability.

Finally, if your friend plans to upgrade to a new graphics card like the 3060 in the future, then this build should be able to accommodate it without any issues. However, he may need to upgrade the PSU to a higher wattage depending on the new graphics card's power requirements.

Overall, your friend's PC build plan should be good enough for the games mentioned and provide some headroom for possible future upgrades.

• Wow
Reactions: CyberDevil

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.