Advice Request Cheaper alternative to Appcheck Pro? Suggestions is welcome!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Why on earth would you need Kaspersky Internet Security and Comodo Firewall? Kaspersky Internet Security already has a Firewall component and it also has the Application Control.

Use Kaspersky Internet Security or something else with/alone Comodo Firewall.

Now this is getting out of hand. NEVER used KIS+CFW. DID use KAV+CFW.
The reason i brought it up initially was because one of the standard answers to questions like mine are to get CFW and configure it. And as i pointed out, i´m not interested in reinstall CFW in any combo!

What i wanted to know was if there are any antiransomwares that could enhance my protection against ransomwares since i wasn´t to sure of KTS efficiency in that department...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
NCLR- I hope I can give you an answer to your original question without mentioning Comodo (Damn! I just mentioned it, didn't I?).

The need for an additional anti-ransomware module is inversely proportional to the quality of the base Security Solution that you have already installed. For example, for those relying on Clam AV, those folks would have a great use for an additional security module (as well as needing a Psych consult) due to the fact that ClamAV sucks.

However as you use Kaspersky TS- (a product that I think it is insane to use by Governments, but one which a Home User can be comfortable with), the need for an additional AR module is very small indeed. But please note that KTS, in addition to ANY specific AR application extent will not guarantee protection against a truly novel ransomware strain that is true zero day. But the chances that you will ever come across something like that in the first 12 hours after malware release is very, very small (remember my "Lucky" comment?).

Also, if you have viewed any of my videos (don't bother), you will see that many of the Anti-ransom applications now contain a Backup thingy- by this inclusion they are saying that they can only guarantee protection against the stuff they know, and when confronted by things that they don't know the backup is there to catch them when they fail.

So to conclude, for you I would suggest just keep on using KTS, be happy, don't obsess, and use an imaging application (wisely) with storage of the image on a removable drive- and on one that is actually removed!

And see, I never mentioned Comodo (Damn, I did it again!!!).

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Thank you ALL for your effort to help me out. Really appreciated!!

I'll roll with KTS for the time being. Hoping to get more time in the future and get back my interest for SW/MW. It's really a blast when you have the time to really dig deep into tweaking them and then throw a bunch of MW on them in a VM to see how they perform. Hopefully I'll do it again in the future.

@cruelsister
I think I've seen all of your vids on YT. And I must say I appreciate them a lot. Esp. when you tweak the MW with your own coding to make an older MW a Zeroday.
But one thing I've always wished for is to hear your voice in one vid. Even though I really appreciate your choice of music it would be very interesting to hear the sound of your voice!!

Regarding Comodo I love it! It's just not the right time for it atm.

//NcLr

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thank you ALL for your effort to help me out. Really appreciated!!

I'll roll with KTS for the time being. Hoping to get more time in the future and get back my interest for SW/MW. It's really a blast when you have the time to really dig deep into tweaking them and then throw a bunch of MW on them in a VM to see how they perform. Hopefully I'll do it again in the future.

@cruelsister
I think I've seen all of your vids on YT. And I must say I appreciate them a lot. Esp. when you tweak the MW with your own coding to make an older MW a Zeroday.
But one thing I've always wished for is to hear your voice in one vid. Even though I really appreciate your choice of music it would be very interesting to hear the sound of your voice!!

Regarding Comodo I love it! It's just not the right time for it atm.

//NcLr

Sounds like she said her testing days were behind her. Maybe her cat will carry on the tradition. I will miss her song choices as well.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.