AV-TEST [CheckLab.pl] Anti-virus test report - July 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hello Everybody.

Some people on this forum know me as a CEO at www.AVLab.pl. Today I would like to present you our new brand it known as CheckLab. The website is available at domain CheckLab :: Professional Testing Service

The CheckLab organization was founded in July 2019 by the AVLab.pl company. The primary objective of the CheckLab organization is to test security usefulness, and issuing certificates confirming the protection effectiveness against malware, and also provide results to public information while ensuring the maximum transparency of the tests. There is so much additional information related to tests so we have decided to prepare a supporting website.

You can read more how we carry out the tests and the making of CheckLab, a website dedicated to security tests at Publications | CheckLab :: Professional Testing Service

Description about whole methodology and used tools: Methodology | CheckLab :: Professional Testing Service

The tests lasted the whole July 2019 and were based on testing security of the following software:
  • AVIRA Antivirus Pro
  • EMSISOFT Business Security
  • F-SECURE Total
  • G DATA Endpoint Protection Business
  • G DATA Total Security
  • KASPERSKY Endpoint Security Cloud Protection
  • SECUREAPLUS Premium
  • The eighth product was not included in the official results.
We present the newest results for tested antivirus products in July 2019: Recent results | CheckLab :: Professional Testing Service

July 2019.png

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
they mention Comodo internet security and Webroot in their description of methodology (point 6.)

I guess Webroot is the 8th product -> It seems right to me

in other notes, they also mention avast, bitdefender, windows defender,...

Last edited:

Adrian Ścibor

From AVLab.pl
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2018
I like they share SHA of malware tested.
E.g. 29244590a5360c7f77f60b3dc2b68dd4072022c9e3240c04c30f7b890606dac5
That still has only 20 detections on VT..

Thank you that you are interested our tests. As for SHA's and VirusTotal, please read this article: The making of CheckLab.pl | CheckLab especially start from"

"VirusTotal is not suitable for giving an opinion on whether or not antivirus detects anything. We will try our best to prove this below."

We describe why results on Virus Total and security tests is often different.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Business versions are normally much stronger and capable then " Home " versions as they tend to include more modules and features. Personal I'm not too fond with tests that mix these as it's an obvious risk the result will be interpreted as something it ain't. Compare business versions with business versions, or Home versions with Home versions IMO.

Last edited:

Adrian Ścibor

From AVLab.pl
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2018
Business versions are normally much stronger and capable then " Home " versions as they tend to include more modules and features. Personal I'm not too fond with tests that mix these as it's an obvious risk the result will be interpreted as something it ain't. Compare business versions with business versions, or Home versions with Home versions IMO.

I understand your opinion. However, charting only for 2-3 business products would not be visually appealing. Maybe we will split it in the future, when our tests will be more popular. We have only one test for now. But thanks for opinion.

Adrian Ścibor

From AVLab.pl
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2018
Welcome to the forum Adrian, it´s always a good thing when you guys join the discussions clarifying things. (y)

/W

No problem. I have 6-7 years experience in testing and I know this market in inside, therefore I can explain many issues.

But the most important for us is transparency. Once caught, a fraud organization will never be able to rebuild its reputation. That is why we try to show more things than any other testing organization.

I was even thinking about publishing our automation system code to testing on GitHub. It is written in NodeJS and Python. It is very simple to install. It's only require to have Linux and VMware with Windows 10. How it works you can see at two videos this article: The making of CheckLab.pl | CheckLab

1. First stage – sample verification. Testing application launches the analyzer: Sandbox. It is a normal operation system lacking in protection in which we check whether malware samples can move to the next stage (must be able to infect a system).

2. Second stage – antivirus testing. Testing application launches the analyzer: Testing. If a sample was malicious, it shall be subject to security testing with solutions for workstation protection installed.

I haven't decided yet to publish, because automation cost a lot of money. It is a very hard business decision.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.