[CheckLab.pl] Test of the best solutions to protect workstations in micro and small companies

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Adrian Ścibor

From AVLab.pl
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2018
Dear MWT forum Readers.

In November 2019, the CheckLab.pl organization prepared a list of popular solutions to protect computers in micro and small enterprises. Among the tested solutions, there are 13 specialized top-notch products, and also one solution for big business — Comodo Advanced Endpoint Protection. The Microsoft’s product known as Windows Defender was also qualified for the test as an integral part of the Windows 10 system.

cc: @Andy Ful :)

The results of November 2019

CheckLab as the first organization in the word shows such detailed information from tests to all interested people. We share checksums of malicious software by dividing them into protection technologies that have contributed to detect and stop a threat. According to experts, this type of innovative approach of comparing security will contribute to better understanding of differences between available products for consumers and enterprises.

The chart and table with malware SHAs available at:

November 2019's report is published at:

checklab_antiviruses_business_october_2019_chart.png

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Could you consider testing Emsisoft Antimalare in any of future tests :unsure: :unsure: ?
Do not want to spam, but there is currently a survey, what products want people to be tested on AV Comparatives.

capture_12202019_160310.jpg

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I am curious about the level 1 escapes. I am guessing products that perform HTTPS inspection are the ones that block level 1 attacks the best. IMO Microsoft and Chrome should provide some better APIs for browser extensions to hook into file downloads -- Windows Defender SmartScreen and the Chrome built in antivirus seem to be allowed to scan downloads for several seconds.

Speaking of that, are these browser features disabled? Windows SmartScreen isn't excellent but the Chrome built in AV seems surprisingly good.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Level 1 clearly shows the effectiveness of browser protection.
I had to check upon ESET, I did not even know, it had any.
ESET's web protection is better than any other AV in my experience.
Chrome built in AV seems surprisingly good.
Built in AV! I don't know about that but Chorme has some sort of cleanup tool that's powered by ESET.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
ESET's web protection is better than any other AV in my experience.

Built in AV! I don't know about that but Chorme has some sort of cleanup tool that's powered by ESET.
Yeah I'm definitely not knocking ESET's underlying excellence, just saying that as a malware writer, the most obvious way to conceal your payloads from inspection is by tunneling them over HTTPS, especially true for malware that downloads additional payloads (not this test per se)

And yeah, Chrome pretty much is a party pooper any time I intentionally try to download malware. Either tells me that it's not common and is harmful, or is straight up malware. I've also heard that this is powered by ESET, which sounds like a mutually beneficial agreement for both parties! I bet this is how ESET gets its hands on a lot of early zero day malware too.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I would like to compliment you on the graph depiction and color scheme. I used to post somewhere else about the more harsh red/yellow/green bar graphs of other comparatives that can easily mess with one's mind--eg: the more red in the bar, the more of a turn-off the product would appear to someone, even though the difference between that and the next guy would be maybe .2%. lol! Very nice and clean-looking. (y)

(Microsoft? You OK? ConfigureDefender for everyone!)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
it's there for fun and never works, IMO
I put a lot of malwares which I allowed them to infect the VM. I manually run chrome clean up -> it found absolutely nothing

I think that tool is only effective for malicious extensions or some sort of chrome hooking malwares

I turned it off because it consumes a lot of resources (CPU and disk IO) more than what it can do, at least for now

Adrian Ścibor

From AVLab.pl
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2018
I am curious about the level 1 escapes. I am guessing products that perform HTTPS inspection are the ones that block level 1 attacks the best. IMO Microsoft and Chrome should provide some better APIs for browser extensions to hook into file downloads -- Windows Defender SmartScreen and the Chrome built in antivirus seem to be allowed to scan downloads for several seconds.

Speaking of that, are these browser features disabled? Windows SmartScreen isn't excellent but the Chrome built in AV seems surprisingly good.
As for Chrome - protection by Chrome is disabled, because it would block all malicious files. The purpose of testing is examine the protection of the installed antiviruses, not Chrome. Let's suppose that product X does not have an HTTP / S filter, e.g. SecureAPlus. Then all malware could be blocked in the browser, so Level 1 would be 100%, which is not adequate to real situation. In this way, we could not check the protection of SecureAPlus or similar programs.

Could you consider testing Emsisoft Antimalare in any of future tests :unsure: :unsure: ?
Of course. You can easily change the month on the charts. This year we tested Emsisoft product for sure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.