Chigwells Config

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hi guys,

I describe myself as a reasonably competent, self-taught, single home user. Very interested to hear your feedback to my setup.

I'm uncertain in the following areas:

1. running Emsi AM alongside a regular AV. I understand this is fine but would be happy to hear your opinions. (Updated: Now only running Emsi AM)

2. When I installed Iobit ASC Ultimate (MalwareTips giveaway) it also has an AV and AM component: "Based on #1 ranked BitDefender antivirus technology and IObit anti-malware engine, Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 6 incorporates top anti-virus capabilities, as well as the already proven comprehensive PC tune-up ability" "Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 6 is compatible with other security software" I've got it all turned off as I only installed ASC-U for it's tune-up capabilities. (Update: ASC-U uninstalled)

3. Just recently installed CIS after unsuccessfully trying out BitDefender IS2013. I was familiar with CIS2012 but of course they've changed it all around. Installed following Chiron's guide. My question is, as CIS has this Sandbox feature, do I even need Sandboxie? If I run my browsers in CIS Sandbox, doesn't this make Sandboxie kinda redundant?!? (Update: uninstalled Comodo AV. ATM I'm using Sandboxie for regular surfing and Comodo Kiosk for banking etc)

Currently playing around with Toolwiz Time Machine.

Almost forgot! Just got Zemana Antilogger (MalwareTips giveaway). Haven't installed it yet as need time to get used to CIS.

All thoughts and comments greatly appreciated :p

Chig.

Sony VAIO laptop (2012), 8GB ram, Comodo FW, Emsisoft AM paid, Open DNS, Sandboxie, Opera (also Firefox), IE disabled, MBAM on-demand, SAS on-demand, Hitman Pro on-demand, WOT, Secunia (at 100% including browser), CCleaner, limited user account, Adobe Reader uninstalled and replaced by PDF-XChange Viewer, Panda USB Vaccine. Huawei HG533 router

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello

I think you got a pretty solid configuration here.

Real-time Protection: Comodo Internet Security
I am personally not a fan of CIS but it gets the job done, It does offer a good firewall and assuming that you are behind a Router & build-in hardware FW who runs in DHCP mode you cannot go wrong, still the CIS AV module would deffo not be my personal choice.
But you got Emisoft AM as second opinion and you have Opendns so you should be more then fine.
(Take note: That running multiple active AV simultaneously can cause trouble or in worse case scenario a false sense of security as both will aggressively cancel each-others actions out which can lockup and even crash your pc.)
So personally i would suggest to pick ONLY one AV to run as resident shield.
However the real bonus here is that you do not run a admin account.
That is probably the best part of your AV setup (kudos for that.)

And running Mbam on demand scan from time to time will ensure you are pretty well set.

In regards to sandboxie and CIS build in sandbox i personally would have CIS take care of it as its already a build in feature so you could save a few MB memory by getting rid of sandboxie.

On a personal note i would not choose a setup like this but this is a personal preference as on a technical level this setup is solid.
Perhaps that there could be some tuning here and there but then again if this setup works for you then who am i to suggest different.
Afteral if its not broken do not fix it.

Cheers

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
n.nvt said:
I am personally not a fan of CIS but it gets the job done, It does offer a good firewall and assuming that you are behind a router you cannot go wrong, still the CIS AV module imo is not the best around.

Thanks for that n.nvt. I agree with you about CIS av. it was a toss up between that and Avast and Avira. I had Avira in the past and was happy with that. I decided to try Comodo AV this time for the very reason you give regarding Sandboxie and CIS sandbox, i.e. built in and integrated.

Updated my profile to include router specs.

Chig.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
CIS can handle enough for its features added but that combination (exclusion of Open DNS and Sandboxie) have been proved to work together.

From FAQ of Emsisoft, its ok to run alongside of other AV's just make sure to turn off one of the realtime protection when scanning.

Thread for CIS and EAM configuration guide

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
jamescv7 said:
CIS can handle enough for its features added but that combination (exclusion of Open DNS and Sandboxie) have been proved to work together.

From FAQ of Emsisoft, its ok to run alongside of other AV's just make sure to turn off one of the realtime protection when scanning.

Thread for CIS and EAM configuration guide

Right i was not aware that there was actually a guide for.
Hence i said that normally running 2 AV's is not recommended.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In reality, its yes as 2 AV's suppose not join together since may caused troubles.

Today's generation; some users are fan to experiment from those combination thus sooner considered to be working.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:
In reality, its yes as 2 AV's suppose not join together since may caused troubles.

Today's generation; some users are fan to experiment from those combination thus sooner considered to be working.

Like our favourite combination user Umbra, ha. :p

Only thing I can see that you don't have is a password manager, any reason why not?

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hi guys, have been away a bit.

Right, updated my profile. Got rid of BitDefender IS2013, got rid of CIS, kept only the Comodo FW. Got rid of Iobit ASC-U. Installed Puran Defrag. New router, Huawei HG533.

Had a bit of trouble with Windows FW starting, Comodo FW not starting, but that seems to have settled down now.

I realized that I had too much in the way of security, now my system is altogether more responsive, lighter, boot/ reboot times much faster. Interestingly my gut feeling is my security is tighter now than before.

McLovin said:
Only thing I can see that you don't have is a password manager, any reason why not?

Hmm, that's a very good question! Let's see, I tried KeyPass and LastPass. Every time I wanted to log in somewhere I had to fill out this master pass. i didn't get on with either of them too well. I then created my own system with my own code (not software code, more a shorthand way of being able to remember them all), this has served me well.

jamescv7 said:

Thanks VM for this, will check it out!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Chigwells said:
Hmm, that's a very good question! Let's see, I tried KeyPass and LastPass. Every time I wanted to log in somewhere I had to fill out this master pass. i didn't get on with either of them too well. I then created my own system with my own code (not software code, more a shorthand way of being able to remember them all), this has served me well.

As long as it works for you. The master password can be a good thing though. I have it enabled where it logs me out every 30 minutes. Plus doesn't really bother me that I have to login all the time.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Out of curiosity, Pen and paper, or PC-based?

Chigwells said:
I then created my own system with my own code (not software code, more a shorthand way of being able to remember them all), this has served me well.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Earth said:
Out of curiosity, Pen and paper, or PC-based?

PC-based.

I come up with a phrase for the password that pertains to the website, then write down a memory jog for the phrase on a text file in a folder where I store such password files. It's all near enough that it doesn't cause me bother to remember but also thoroughly random.

I also considered screenshoting such files and storing the jpgs on my smart phone as a way of having the passwords with me with me in my travels. In the end I stored the screenshots in my Evernote account, so I can access them as and when.

Well both actually. My online shopping etc accounts are pen and paper and tucked away somewhere, but also similarly coded.

McLovin said:
I have it enabled where it logs me out every 30 minutes. Plus doesn't really bother me that I have to login all the time.

McLovin that is interesting, I think that would bother me. Which password manager do you use? Doesn't that mean you end up typing the phrase in quite often? See I like my system cause even if someone else did get my passwords memory jogs, they wouldn't be able to figure out the passwords. How do you get on in your travels?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Chigwells said:
McLovin that is interesting, I think that would bother me. Which password manager do you use? Doesn't that mean you end up typing the phrase in quite often? See I like my system cause even if someone else did get my passwords memory jogs, they wouldn't be able to figure out the passwords. How do you get on in your travels?

I currently use Lastpass Free, love it.

Not sure what you mean by a phrase, but this is the settings I have for the Lastpass extension.
p5NJ12f.png

As for websites, I have it they will log me out every 2 weeks.

As for my travels,
KqkJSeG.png

So I'm pretty much set for my passwords. :)

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Updated my profile again, Dec 2015. Gone to win8.1 although I'd quite like to downgrade, I don't like always changing and upgrading. Had Emsi AM for years now, just about to renew my subscription again.Seriously wondering if there's a free equivalent alternative, although I do feel very confident with its protection.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Config looks good! Thanks for sharing the update :)
I agree with @Umbra you can dump SAS as you will do better with the other 3 on demand scanners

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.