China Forces Muslim Minority to Install Spyware on Their Phones

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Chinese authorities in the province of Xinjiang are forcing locals of the Uyghur Muslim minority to install an app on their phones that will allow the government to scan their device for "terrorist propaganda," local media reports.

In reality, the app creates MD5 hashes for the user's files and matches them against a database of known terrorist content.

The app also makes copies of the user's Weibo and WeChat databases and uploads it to a government server, along with the user's IMEI, IMSI, and WiFi login information.

Read the complete article here.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In short that actions occurred are already in a desperate way, considering that in order to crackdown the possible intruders like so called 'terrorist' then aggressive implementation will happen. (in short collateral damage)

Of course it's wrong cause does not undergone due process.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

That's pretty rude. Other countries seem to be smarter concealing they are spying on citizens.

LOL.. Yeah they should be 'nicer' about it, like our govt. Hehe. Honestly though, I think it's more nefarious to spy covertly like our govt. but our govt. has no choice because what they are doing is largely a violation of the constitution and breaking the law in most states.. In China they can say they are doing it, openly.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
LOL.. Yeah they should be 'nicer' about it, like our govt. Hehe. Honestly though, I think it's more nefarious to spy covertly like our govt. but our govt. has no choice because what they are doing is largely a violation of the constitution and breaking the law in most states.. In China they can say they are doing it, openly.

Didn't some sort of spying and surveillance of citizens by government become legal with Patriot Act even though it goes against the constitution?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Govts are all parasites when you think about it. A parasite will do virtually anything to preserve it's own existence and when it can't preserve it, it will usually take the host down with it. There are good people working in the govt. however there are much more incredibly evil and self serving people there. The good people are usually taken out, taken down, or leave in frustration after awhile.

It's not a swamp, it's a sewer.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Bora,
With all due respect and understanding of Your messages and I do not mean to be rude or answer you back unpolitely:
What about talk about "rush-ian malware" or "chai-neez malware" then?
Where do we put the limit?
Thank You.
Limit is no line or boundary here, at least not a clear one. Let your line be that every discussion on MalwareTips should flow in Security waters. These are very sensitive subjects and themes, and we are having members and guest visiting the forum from all over the world.
Just keep the discussions at technical level. If you think that some post or thread is breaking the rules, please use the Report button.
Thank you!

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I think the disturbing part is, that basically person x is treated differently for belonging to group y and/or believing in z. All variables subject to change according to the respective agenda.

Whatever the variables may be, I don't care for that concept at all.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is just China doing China, the smart thing is for those of us here to wake up as a security community
and see the effects this may and or will have, and keep it from spreading by being well read on the subject
and passing it on.
I don't employ Chinese Security software, but if I did it would be smart to "take notice" ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.