Status
Not open for further replies.

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
Wouldn't wanna be ya!

"In a document published by China’s Commerce Bureau, the People’s Republic of China laid out the framework for a new Internet policy advertising law that will take effect September 1. This new Internet policy contains some radical changes to China’s existing Internet guidelines, such as a blanket ban on ad-blocking. The new policy also pushes significantly stricter advertising guidelines, however, which could make it more beneficial to both users and companies.

Changes To Advertising Law

Under China’s new Internet Policy article XVI, all software and hardware that intercepts, filters, covers, fast-forwards or in any way prevents an advertisement from being viewed is prohibited. The policy explicitly points out that ad-block capability in email clients is also prohibited, as is network-level hardware that that may contain ad-block features. In our reading of the document, it would appear China is doing this to encourage what it would consider fair economic development of the Internet.

The new advertising laws do make some attempts to protect individual users from certain types of advertisements. For example, advertisements for prescription drugs and tobacco products are banned, and any products designed for pharmaceutical purposes must be reviewed by China’s advertising agency before they can be put online.

Advertisements are also required to be clearly marked, and they cannot be disguised as other content in an attempt to trick users into clicking them. Pop-up ads will be restricted to clearly display their location, and they must contain a clearly marked close button so as not to trick users.

Email advertisements can only be sent to users that have given the company permission to send them emails containing ads. The number and type of ads will likely be restricted as well, because China deems it illegal for ads to negatively impact the smooth operations of a website.

The People’s Republic of China will also keep a list of companies that are authorized to advertise products on the Internet. These companies will be held responsible for upholding these restrictions.

By carefully regulating Internet advertisements, China may have essentially reduced the need for third-party ad-blocking services by creating a more user-friendly web browsing environment.

This policy has one major issue, however, in that it will be difficult to put into effect. Several popular web browsers and essentially all email clients today feature some sort of ad-blocking technology. The vast majority of wireless routers also feature ad-block and firewall features, as do some operating systems. Long story short, the policy would require a significant reshaping of the computer industry."

ZevinZenph

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Honestly I went to China few weeks ago, and it's surprising that the Baidu ad services collects ALL data you entered into the search bar, which results in a popup-ad mess whenever I tried to search something on Baidu. It seems that there's still no regulation about ads based on data collection in China, and now with these new ads regulations...
LOLOL.

A Chinese website in my eyes. (Just MY point of view and MY own experience.)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I understand on their revising some policy banning but frankly speaking, some Chinese breaks the rules already.

Advertising to Malvertising is existed and many investigative groups conducted where threat attacks contribute from countries like China.

L

LabZero

We think to a chinese user (in this case) that want to open a super-secure link, but he should wait for a couple of minutes because the advertising is so heavy and intrusive to choke completely the pc and the connection.
He still has to understand which is the correct web page...

This is a normal condition for many secure and legit web sites because you don't know that also a secure site can host malversting to spread malware.

For him, an adblocker is very useful, I guess.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
China should learn from Europe's legal allowance to usage of Adblockers of their citizens. People started using Adblockers when ads and tracking on websites become unbearable that resulted in slow page loading to unexpected malware downloads from 3rd party links.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
1> Is China going to enforce this ad-block ban ?
2> if so, they are in far worse shape than i could have ever imagined.
So based on this, browsers (any software for that matter) with built-in ad block technology would be rendered illegal within China's borders ?
Just another sign of a government that couldn't give two shitz about it's people, I feel for the Chinese people.

Last edited:

ZevinZenph

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
1> Is China going to enforce this ad-block ban ?
2> if so, they are in far worse shape than i could have ever imagined.
So based on this, browsers with built-in ad block technology would be rendered illegal within China's borders ?
Just another sign of a government that couldn't give two shitz about it's people, I feel for the Chinese people.
I suspect that the enforcement is what the Great Firewall is used for. You can only admire its power once you're under its control. :/

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Eh not a fan of adblocking my perspective is that if you don't pirate or go to sites you know are risky an adblocker isn't really helpful..

Some legitimate ads get hijacked and injected with exploit kits all over the place, including normal sites, refer to this article which recently pointed out how dangerous ads can be.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Some legitimate ads get hijacked and injected with exploit kits all over the place, including normal sites, refer to this article which recently pointed out how dangerous ads can be.

Even still just be careful where you go on the internet and have a good security product and you're good. Too many people have adblock enabled everywhere and eventually that will cause problems.

N

NullByte

EU wanted to do the same in April. The good part is that "European Commission suggests that these publishers could be breaking European law".

H

hjlbx

I want a completely ad-free on-line experience. The vast majority of people want the same.

Besides, it is more about usability than it is about safety. Anyone who surfs the net will quickly realize that there are so many ads, re-directs, pop-ups, etc on many sites that it brings their browsers to a crawl.

Once again, it is all about money. Chinese government considers the internet an economic zone - therefore no ad-blocking.

You know when it comes to most matters IT and on-line - it isn't about what the people want - there isn't any kind of democratic process of arriving at a formula - instead it is what governments and corporations say it will be -- all over the world.

The majority does not rule when it comes to on-line matters - it is what those who govern say it will be...

Think about it...

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
I want a completely ad-free on-line experience. The vast majority of people want the same.

Besides, it is more about usability than it is about safety. Anyone who surfs the net will quickly realize that there are so many ads, re-directs, pop-ups, etc on many sites that it brings their browsers to a crawl.

Once again, it is all about money. Chinese government considers the internet an economic zone - therefore no ad-blocking.

Kinda like television. It's an economic-zone too. As much as I DO NOT want to pay an obscene cable bill, I'd rather pay more for a commercial free experience then one with commercials. But as you say, it's all about the money. Everything is about money, not convenience.

H

hjlbx

Kinda like television. It's an economic-zone too. As much as I DO NOT want to pay an obscene cable bill, I'd rather pay more for a commercial free experience then one with commercials. But as you say, it's all about the money. Everything is about money, not convenience.

Why should any of us have to pay more - why ? - because we aren't suckers for ads and buy none of it. Hmmm - it's a fricking rip-off - just a way to extract more money out of people.

Good strategy -- I will make your experience so overwhelmed with ads - that you will gladly pay me more money to remove those ads.

It is people that allow themselves to be victimized by this sort of behavior.

That's another reason why KAT was so popular...

What's the Chinese authorities going to do to enforce this ?

The Great Wall ain't going to stop ad-blockers -- hell, it don't work now.

They going to have anti-ad-blocking police - The People's Anti-Adblock Administration ?

They gonna show up at people's houses, fine people, take away their PCs and devices - or are they gonna start suing adblock soft vendors ?

Maybe put a bullet in the base of a person's neck for violating the adblock laws ?

Hmmm ?

It's ridiculous.

I've been to quite a few Chinese websites and the advertising\re-directs\malvertising\etc is absolutely horrendous.

It is ridiculous

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.